Daddy's Girl

Gemini2710

Apr 2, 2015
My dad has been diagnosed with dementia, it has been 3 months and I feel like I have lost my dad and that I am now his mum and he is my child, I don't want to be his mum, I want my dad back. He has been admitted to the dementia ward in hospital. Every time I go to see him, the whole situation breaks my heart and I hate leaving him there. I feel so lost and cry in private, I can't sleep am losing weight and I know my home life is not as it should be and even though work have been amazing, I know it is going to get so much worse and I don't know if I will be strong enough.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Gemini and welcome to TP :)

I hope you will find some support here - goodness, knows, we all need it! I wonder also whether you have any support where you live, eg are you in touch with the local Alzheimer's Society branch, or Admiral nurses, or Carers' Trust? You probably have a busy life, but you may be able to find online help, or an outreach worker, helpline or group, that may help :)

Are there plans to discharge your dad from hospital? If so, there should be a support plan put in place that may include care and activities for him, as appropriate.

It does sound as though things are moving quite fast for your dad.....have you got information from the hospital staff?

I do feel for you. It is so painful to see a beloved parent deteriorate like this. I know that you will find support and strength on TP - please do post again.

((((Hugs))))

Lindy xx

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
My dad has been diagnosed with dementia, it has been 3 months and I feel like I have lost my dad and that I am now his mum and he is my child, I don't want to be his mum, I want my dad back. He has been admitted to the dementia ward in hospital. Every time I go to see him, the whole situation breaks my heart and I hate leaving him there. I feel so lost and cry in private, I can't sleep am losing weight and I know my home life is not as it should be and even though work have been amazing, I know it is going to get so much worse and I don't know if I will be strong enough.

Hi!.im my dads carer he has dementia with lewy bodys. My dad is my mum carer she has spine probs and suffer with depression.

Its not a situation i think nature was prepared for having parents being taken care of by their children.in an emotional sense.
What i try to do is have a rant or make something where i have to cut things up!..my easter bonnet for dementia choir is like something off my fair lady..its been a great release....

When im feeling like my chest is going to explode or im going to drown in tears of anger or saddness..i use a breathing excercise a lady showed us on a carers course. Im a major sceptic really..but i use it everyday..just breathing in and out slowing myself down or using a rubber little figure stretching it as i breathe. I keep it in my bag. The whole group were to relaxed to respond to the legal rep that spoke next.

The reality is if my gp had more knowledge ,ss knew anything about dementia and the goverment had daily experience of dementias of all types from minute to minute like my dad changes ..i would still be upset because hes my dad..but i wouldnt be so afraid that i probably understand more than them.thats worrying because when they call out if office go home have holidays and breaks..i dont i am it the on call, duty team, out if hours.

Book yourself an afternoon tea in a posh hotel , even if youre not hungry or feel miserable..the benefit to you wont be obvious to you but will fill your coping bank.

Best wishes..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app