Dad

Nanette

Mar 18, 2016
Hi my dad has dementia with hallucinations this is new to me. He's having trouble eating too. I have to puree his food. I'm his full time Care giver any support or info I can get is appreciated

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Nanette, welcome to TP.
"dementia with hallucinations this is new to me" I hope you've mentioned this to whoever is concerned be it a GP. memory clinic or CPN and you're not trying to deal with it alone, there are medications available that he could be tried on.
I sat tried on as they're not always successful in curing the symptoms and sometimes have side effects.
Other than that, welcome again to TP, there are many of us on here to give you any help, advise and support you need.
K

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Hi Nanette, my mum is on a pureed diet too I puree her meals but sometimes order in ready made pureed meals. There's two I buy from Wiltshire FF and also another company based in Birmingham but they deliver next day.

It sometimes makes it easier to use them every so often.
Best wishes Jo x

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
my hubby when he was home had really bad hallucinations, there was policemen in his bed people coming through the windows, walking along the landing ,and to top it all he had a white mouse that sat on the floor beside his bed he used to fall out of bed reaching for this mouse,i even had to put some food out for it as he,d get upset because it had nothing to eat,
I suppose other people have had the same and the hallucinations seem to be part of some peoples dementia,just try to go along with it it makes it easier in the long run

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Nanette

My husband had hallucinations but fortunately they didn`t frighten him. They all seemed harmless and friendly so I could accept them.

If the hallucinations your dad has worry or frighten him, please see his doctor and ask if there is any help he could have. If they do not disturb him, please try not to let them worry you.

Even if you are your dad`s full time carer you do need a regular break so you can have some space for yourself. I do hope you get some help and support from the services.