dad

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Just spoken to Dad who, if you remember, was having problems with blood platelets. He had a blood transfusion a fortnight ago and bone marrow sample taken. He went back today for results and was told it could stay as it is or could develop into leukaemia. He will probably have to go for blood transfusions regularly. He is now trying to organise the transfusions (which take 6 hours) around social work lady coming in to the house to sit with Mum, who is still in hospital at the moment. He still fully intends to bring Mum home. What can I do?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Taylorcat I`m so sorry.

I really don`t see you can do anything but support your father as much as possible.

What you could do is speak to SS in confidence and see if you could be helped to prepare for the worst, when your mother might have to go into residential care. You could also do your own inspection of nursing and care homes.

That`s really all I can suggest, although others might have better ideas.

I hope your father doesn`t develop leukaemia, but even so, he doesn`t seem well enough now, to care for himself as well as your mother.

Take care

Love xx

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Thanks, I've just phoned his GP to see if she can speak to him. I rather suspect he wants someone else to say "enough is enough" and then he doesn't feel responsible for making the decision as it was taken out of his hands.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
taylorcat said:
I rather suspect he wants someone else to say "enough is enough" and then he doesn't feel responsible for making the decision as it was taken out of his hands.

Taylorcat, I'm so sorry about your dad. I don't see that he is going to be able to care for your mum, but none of us want to make that decision. It's a good idea to get the GP to speak to him.

I hope the GP manages to convince him. Let us know how it goes.

Love,

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
I cancelled the GP call because I managed to talk him into going to see a care home on Friday with me. It gets a good name, so we'll see what happens.

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Just when I thought I was making progress, when I picked Dad up from hospital tonight he tells me that I've to stop all this talk about "shoving Mum into a home". I don't think he realises that from my position I have 2 parents and he has to think of himself now.

Think I'll have to just keep quiet and let him get on with whatever he wants to do.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`d keep quiet, as you said, and let him do things his way, but make a few discrete inquiries, just in case.

He can change his mind over again.

Take care xx