dad

mary m

May 23, 2005
scotland
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced very bad aggresion with demetia as my dad had to be taken in to hospital on thursday.

HELEN

Jul 16, 2004
wales
Hi Mary ,

Welcome to talking point. Sorry to hear your dad had to be taken into hospital its hard isn't it. Yes from what i've read & seen (not an expert) aggression is quite common. This was the main reason i could no longer cope with mum's care (apart from lack of sleep) . It was also one of the main reasons they decided mum should remain in hospital as they didn't think an emi care home would cope.Though there are other factors with mum & problems with her being given medication . I'm not suggesting your dad will not be allowed home after treatment .While he's in hospital they can assess him properly to find out if there is any other underlying cause , such as pain, infection etc. Has your dad been prescribed any medication for his aggression what have the doctors said?There are drugs that can help to control & ease it. With some people its a phase in the illness & doesn't last. Hope he improves soon. Keep posting if you need support. Hang in there.

take care

Helen

HELEN

Jul 16, 2004
wales
Just wanted to add that i'm not suggesting drugs are the only way to deal with aggression , but when other attempts to comfort & calm have failed they can really help both patient & carer. As long as they are properly managed.

Take care

Helen

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Mary, yes, afraid so. In hospital they will monitor and hopefully find a medication to ease this, thinking of you, love She. XX