Dad thought it was his funeral today

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
My Dad has woken this morning and was very quiet. He didn’t want to get dressed. He told mum he thought he was dying today and it was his funeral. Oh my heart goes out to him and Mum trying to explain this to him. Has anyone else had this and why does he think this. X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh how sad for you and your mother @Dragonfly1

I wonder if your dad had a dream. Perhaps your mother could reassure him it was a nightmare if it happens again.

It`s such a cruel illness.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum sometimes used to tell me that she was dying. Im afraid I just used to be very brisk with her and say "well, yes mum - we are all dying, but I dont think it will be today". I think she was occasionally aware that not all was well with her and she interpreted this as she was dying.

Sometimes, though, she would come out with odd delusions and I never got to the bottom of what had triggered them off

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Poor poor man. I too wonder if he had dreamed it. I used to reassure mum, when she thought something horrible was about to happen (being moved to China at one point, I seem to remember) by saying “oh no mum, that’s most definitely not happening today “ or “not on my watch, mum”, then distract her with something nice.

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
Poor poor man. I too wonder if he had dreamed it. I used to reassure mum, when she thought something horrible was about to happen (being moved to China at one point, I seem to remember) by saying “oh no mum, that’s most definitely not happening today “ or “not on my watch, mum”, then distract her with something nice.
Thank you I will pass on your kind words to Mum. X

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That is so sad. My mother's worry, early in her illness, was that she was losing her mind. I would tell her "You're not losing your mind, you're losing your memory. " For some reason, this comforted her.

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
Mum sometimes used to tell me that she was dying. Im afraid I just used to be very brisk with her and say "well, yes mum - we are all dying, but I dont think it will be today". I think she was occasionally aware that not all was well with her and she interpreted this as she was dying.

Sometimes, though, she would come out with odd delusions and I never got to the bottom of what had triggered them off
Thanks will pass on to Mum. X

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020

I wonder if your dad had a dream. Perhaps your mother could reassure him it was a nightmare if it happens again.

Perhaps he did have a dream. I’m going to FT this afternoon and will be able to discuss this with her then. Thanks. X

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
That is so sad. My mother's worry, early in her illness, was that she was losing her mind. I would tell her "You're not losing your mind, you're losing your memory. " For some reason, this comforted her.

X

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Oh this is heartbreaking @Dragonfly1 - your poor dad but also your poor mum. I hope she was able to reassure him quickly. Sometimes my dad used to get odd notions in his head too. Sending you all lots of love and strength xx