Dad thinks home is a station or a shop or a warehouse

SJR

Jan 8, 2016
Hello, has any one any advice for how to deal with hallucinations and confusion?

While i know both are vastly different, for my dad they ofton combine when he wakes from sleep to make him think home is a train station or a shop or a warehouse. So much so that when he looks around he hallucinates he is seeing those places then gets aggressive when he is told that he is safe and at home.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Would it hurt to mildly say oh, you have eye sight than me. What can you see? You could add that's it's dark as everyone has gone home so perhaps you better both come back in the morning when it's open etc.

I've just noticed its your first post and I forgot to say welcome to Talking Point. I hope you find knowledge and comfort from this board.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Don't tell him he's safe at home, I use to do that with my oh. He told me not to be silly and lie to him. So now we are wherever he wants to be. The consultant started him on rispiridone a couple of weeks ago and that seems to have helped. He reduced his sertraline he thought this may have been getting him over excited. Sometimes it is about the right medication balance being found. We have not got there just yet.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

It will be easier for you to just go along with what your Dad thinks he sees and where he thinks he is when he wakes up. Try distraction it may work. Chat about something different but connected like asking him if he would like to go for a cup of tea somewhere else as the station is crowded.

You might find the link below useful, many of us have used the advice and found it made life so much easier.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When my husband was in hospital in December with a chest infection he believed he was in an army hospital in Germany (national service there sixty years ago). He went around saluting everyone and they saluted him back. He was a model patient despite the delusions and they just let him get on with it. Lesson learned for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705