Dad taking Mum on hol to Greece!

SilverBailey

Jun 11, 2020
My mum has quite advanced dementia - she has a carer to get her showered & dressed each day, same in the evening to get her to bed, plus care calls twice a day as she's incontinent. My Dad has just booked a holiday to Greece for them both, in about 4 weeks time. He knows this is against my wishes. I have POA for Mum. How can I get this holiday stopped? Dad seems to think he can look after Mum, but he doesn't when they're at home - she's prone to wandering, wears a GPS tracker, thinks my Dad is HER dad, the list goes on. Any advice as to which services could help? I've raised a safeguarding case today, plus am attempting to cancel Mum's passport.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Oh my goodness! Why on earth does your father think he will be able to cope when he doesn't do the caring now?

If you have POA for your mum you should be able to stop this foolish holiday - I'm just not sure how! Could you suggest your father goes by himself and get extra care in place for your mum, or could she go to respite for the duration?

I'm sure others can advise you better.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
My mum has quite advanced dementia - she has a carer to get her showered & dressed each day, same in the evening to get her to bed, plus care calls twice a day as she's incontinent. My Dad has just booked a holiday to Greece for them both, in about 4 weeks time. He knows this is against my wishes. I have POA for Mum. How can I get this holiday stopped? Dad seems to think he can look after Mum, but he doesn't when they're at home - she's prone to wandering, wears a GPS tracker, thinks my Dad is HER dad, the list goes on. Any advice as to which services could help? I've raised a safeguarding case today, plus am attempting to cancel Mum's passport.
Safeguarding is the way to go on this one. There is not a chance of this holiday working out for either of them. How really frustrating for you, though. I am wondering if your father may have some issues that would benefit from further enquiry? If he really doesn't understand what he'd be taking on in spite of carers coming in every day, it argues a lack of insight that may be a sign of a more significant problem.