Dad taken off Metaformin by Doctor.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad was taken off Metaformin by the doctor last week.Dad’s kidney function has been declining and is now 37. This is the lowest it has been . He had 500mg x 2 a day.Apparently his blood sugars are stable ,almost like normal (whatever that is). Dad wasn’t too impressed when told .But I understand it can be a side effect of Metaformin to decrease the kidney function.She is going to take bloods in 8 weeks time to see how he goes.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was taken off Metformin and Gliclazide when it was considered they were no longer effective and his blood glucose was stable.

It made me wonder if dementia changed the metabolism of medication and a stage was reached when it wasn`t any more detrimental to let nature take its course.

There seemed to be no change in my husband`s well being once he was off the drugs.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My husband was taken off Metformin and Gliclazide when it was considered they were no longer effective and his blood glucose was stable.

It made me wonder if dementia changed the metabolism of medication and a stage was reached when it wasn`t any more detrimental to let nature take its course.

There seemed to be no change in my husband`s well being once he was off the drugs.
Yes it will be interesting to say the least. Somebody else has said that maybe there is no more they can do for dad(skin cancer is increasing) and that they will just monitor things.He is 86 and not in the best health.They haven’t told me this but it seems plausible. As long as he is not in pain.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
My FIL had his Metformin stopped as his blood sugars were stable, not sure how as he ate at least 2 big tubs of ice cream a week and a lot of of Belgian chocolate seashells. It did not seem to adversely affect him. He also has one of his blood pressure meds stopped. Maybe dementia changes their metabolism or the efficacy of some medication?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My FIL had his Metformin stopped as his blood sugars were stable, not sure how as he ate at least 2 big tubs of ice cream a week and a lot of of Belgian chocolate seashells. It did not seem to adversely affect him. He also has one of his blood pressure meds stopped. Maybe dementia changes their metabolism or the efficacy of some medication?
My dad is a bit like this . He will eat sweet things anytime of day.It may well do .

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
My husband's memory clinic doctor actually told us that certain meds cause dementia or contribute to it,one being metformin....