Dad struggling to remember bank pin

Romf

Jul 6, 2020
Is there a card available to pre load money on where you don't have to use a pin number. My dad struggling to remember pin and contact less only works so many times and then have to enter pin. He still is quite independent and like to do his own shopping.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Romf

I went through this with all my PWD. My aunt used to keep her numbers in her purse and eventually asked me to remember them for her (yes I know she shouldn’t have told anyone her number but it seemed safer than having them written down!) but she used to go shopping with me.

I’m not aware of a card than you don’t need a pin for.

Have you got LPA for your dad so that you can help and eventually take over your dad’s finances when he needs you to?

Romf

Jul 6, 2020
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Romf

I went through this with all my PWD. My aunt used to keep her numbers in her purse and eventually asked me to remember them for her (yes I know she shouldn’t have told anyone her number but it seemed safer than having them written down!) but she used to go shopping with me.

I’m not aware of a card than you don’t need a pin for.

Have you got LPA for your dad so that you can help and eventually take over your dad’s finances when he needs you to?
Yes I have, just doing the health one too

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Good! One less thing to worry about. My dad used to take cash with him when he could no longer remember his pin and went to the bank in the old fashioned way - obviously not ideal with covid about.

To be honest it was only a few months between him forgetting his pin to being unable to find his way to the shops independently. It may take longer with your dad. I used to dread every little step away from independence but I found a lot of comfort in this forum - realising that others were treading the same path and finding a way through one way or another..

Romf

Jul 6, 2020
Good! One less thing to worry about. My dad used to take cash with him when he could no longer remember his pin and went to the bank in the old fashioned way - obviously not ideal with covid about.

To be honest it was only a few months between him forgetting his pin to being unable to find his way to the shops independently. It may take longer with your dad. I used to dread every little step away from independence but I found a lot of comfort in this forum - realising that others were treading the same path and finding a way through one way or another..
Thank you. Yes we have only just had diagnosis of alzheimer and everyone different so taking it as it comes and trying not to think of the future too much. Focus on the now. We are still awaiting to see memory nurse for advice on medication available.

Romf

Jul 6, 2020
Talking with others in same situation is a comfort that I'm not alone as sometimes I do and it engulfs you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1