dad storing food in his mouth

milomia

Nov 29, 2010
Middlesbrough
As many of you will know, if you have read my posts, titled "read this and be warned" back in March my Dad was living at home and was cared for on a daily basis..he was actually quite fit and healthy except for his vascular dementia.....now in an EMI Nursing home he is going downhill fast even though the care he is now getting is quite honestly remarkable...but after a few "breaks" and a fall, a supa pubic catheter being put in, a part hip replacement ( all since March ) he is now very frail and sadly I can't see how much longer he will go on like this. We attended a DST meeting on thursday ( last one was in April ) and Dad has now been awarded full funding, it's a double edged sword as that means they now feel he is very poorly. ( We know how hard it is to get this funding) Now over the last few days he has started to store his food in the side of his mouth....he had false teeth but now refuses to have them put back in ...he chews and chews, and up until last week was eating and swallowing well. Now they are having him looked at to see if it is that he can't swallow or he can't chew the food....I don't know what we will do if he chokes....it doesn't bear thinking about and I don't know how much more as a Family we can go through. Have any of you had this and had a good outcome.......??????

KAnne

Account Closed
Apr 27, 2012
I'm so sorry for yours and your loved ones circumstances - my mum is not at the stage of really storing food in her mouth but I'm fearful to say I have noticed some holding onto it of late. I've switched to softer and softer food

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi Milomia

Sorry to hear of your fathers deterioration.

Please request the home to give him pureed food it will be much easier for him to get down. I am amazed that the home has not already suggested this to you. Of course there may be another reason for your father problem but this type of food should be tried anyway.

My FIL has been in care for 10 years and now has pureed food as he was choking on normal food. The different food has sorted the problem very well.

Best Wishes and let us know what happens :)

As many of you will know, if you have read my posts, titled "read this and be warned" back in March my Dad was living at home and was cared for on a daily basis..he was actually quite fit and healthy except for his vascular dementia.....now in an EMI Nursing home he is going downhill fast even though the care he is now getting is quite honestly remarkable...but after a few "breaks" and a fall, a supa pubic catheter being put in, a part hip replacement ( all since March ) he is now very frail and sadly I can't see how much longer he will go on like this. We attended a DST meeting on thursday ( last one was in April ) and Dad has now been awarded full funding, it's a double edged sword as that means they now feel he is very poorly. ( We know how hard it is to get this funding) Now over the last few days he has started to store his food in the side of his mouth....he had false teeth but now refuses to have them put back in ...he chews and chews, and up until last week was eating and swallowing well. Now they are having him looked at to see if it is that he can't swallow or he can't chew the food....I don't know what we will do if he chokes....it doesn't bear thinking about and I don't know how much more as a Family we can go through. Have any of you had this and had a good outcome.......??????

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts