Dad started singing in bed!

daddysgurl

Oct 13, 2013
Essex
Hi all, my dad has vascular dementia and lives with only me. (89 yo) Carer twice a day.
Wants to go to bed for the afternoon after lunch, and goes to bed 6.30-7.00pm in the evening. Cant get him to last any longer but as soon as he is on his frame (being assisted to bed) he makes up a little song on his way to bed and then sings periodically in bed, sometimes on and off for quite a few hours. I am listening out most of the time so I can tell the difference between him singing or calling for me. Been happening the last couple of months.
Is this a common occurrence? :confused:

Daddysgurl

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Daddysgurl. Mum had a fall a couple of months ago and I stayed over with her for the night. I heard her at about 1am and crept upstairs. She was on the edge of her bed singing to herself very softly. She seemed quite happy and settled. I asked if she was ok and she smiled and said she was just humming to herself.

I don't know if this is a regular occurrence. She's in a care home now and they haven't mentioned any singing yet! X

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
My Mum cannot carry a tune but we often have had a little sing song merrily together. However she will often talk to herself.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
While in hospital my BIL with vas dementia used to wake at 2 am daily and sing a variety of songs by Shirley Bassey. When the nurses told my sister this she was stunned as she had never heard him even mention this singer.

What other unknown banks of information are buried in our brains I wonder?

daddysgurl

Oct 13, 2013
Essex
Hi Daddysgurl. Mum had a fall a couple of months ago and I stayed over with her for the night. I heard her at about 1am and crept upstairs. She was on the edge of her bed singing to herself very softly. She seemed quite happy and settled. I asked if she was ok and she smiled and said she was just humming to herself.

I don't know if this is a regular occurrence. She's in a care home now and they haven't mentioned any singing yet! X

Thanx Anongirl. Thanx for replying. She could have been doing it every night couldn't she? bless her x

daddysgurl

Oct 13, 2013
Essex
While in hospital my BIL with vas dementia used to wake at 2 am daily and sing a variety of songs by Shirley Bassey. When the nurses told my sister this she was stunned as she had never heard him even mention this singer.

What other unknown banks of information are buried in our brains I wonder?
Thanx marionq. I know, my mind boggles what jewels are tucked away in his brain x

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
My dad is 91 years old & has AD/Vas Dementia & regularly sings & chats to "people"! during the night & has done so for ages now. Thank goodness my mum who sleeps in a different room is deaf & claims not to hear him,but on the odd occasion I've stayed,I've certainly heard him !! but when he's up,he very rarely speaks to anyone,not even when someone tries to start a conversation with him

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
My mum went through a phase of singing scales in the middle of the night. It was very noisy and must have driven the neighbours mad. i think it stemmed from boredom with her. And sometimes she sings a bit of a song with real joy:D

daddysgurl

Oct 13, 2013
Essex
Dads stopped singing

Long time since I have been on here.

Dad has ceased singing on his frame to bed, and in bed. He used to chat away about his family(in bed) and now all that has stopped as well.

Still watches the telly but don't think it is sinking in and never starts a conversation.

Knows me but sometimes cant remember my name and certainly cant remember the carer from 5 minutes ago, although he know he knows her, if that makes sense. As for what he had to eat, when a carer asked him what he had for tea he said he didn't think he had anything, good job the carers know different.

Still eating and drinking ok but wondering if that will slow down soon?

Anyone recognise any of these things with the people they are caring for? Thanks xx

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Although my dad is still "chatting" to people whilst in bed,sometimes laughing,you could be describing my dad exactly daddysgurl.
He woke my mum up the other night saying there's was a man on the landing who wanted to interview her for a job !!

daddysgurl

Oct 13, 2013
Essex
Although my dad is still "chatting" to people whilst in bed,sometimes laughing,you could be describing my dad exactly daddysgurl.
He woke my mum up the other night saying there's was a man on the landing who wanted to interview her for a job !!

Hi, Mun, did mum get the job? Seriously though, it is sad when you see someone you love behaving like this. Dad sleeps so much now, but at least he is eating and drinking well, thank goodness. Its the only thing he does other than watch telly. Sleep, eat and drink, telly, bed, over and over again ...

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Mum didn't ask what the job was & wouldn't go to speak to the man so didn't even get the interview !! lol
daddysgurl,my dad's sleeping habits are all over the place & have been for the last 3/4 years now,cannot differentiate night from day & in total I would say he's in bed asleep for about 17-18 hours in any 24,but that times broken up into him being up for perhaps an hour,then back in bed,up again for maybe 3 hours then in bed,even 30 mins before going back to bed,hes all over the place with it !
He had quite a significant dip in his AD/VasD earlier this year,no appetite,not drinking that well & lost a lot of weight & I feared we would lose him :-((( but he's still here ! still not eating or drinking much,but keeps going !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa