Dad sectioned on Boxing day

Polarbear

Jan 17, 2016
Yorkshire
During the two weeks leading up to Christmas, my dads confusion and aggressive mood changes hit a peak practically over night. My mum phoned me each time this happened, frightened and unable to cope with my dad. I rushed over and the rapid response team from the memory clinic came out and also a locus GP and my dad was prescribed Diazepam.
Things were still quite rocky and on Christmas Day evening my mum phoned me once again in a panic with my dad threatening her and trying to grab her phone from her. I went over as my mum was having back pain and struggling. The rapid response team said that they couldn't really do anything as it was Christmas Day so I stayed over to ensure everybody's safety, my dad was hostile to me at this point and I had to hide in the kitchen at this point in the dark so as not to agitate him.
My mums back went in the night and I had to call an ambulance as she couldn't move whilst trying to support my dad who was agitated and no idea who I was.
On Boxing Day, things calmed down for a few hours until early evening when my mum called again, frightened with my dad wanting her out of the house. To cut a long story short, I went over again and the rapid response team told me to call for an ambulance. I ended up with paramedics, the police, social worker and doctors and my mum hiding upstairs in a bedroom. Four and a half hours after my initial call, my dad was sectioned and taken by the paramedics to a secure hospital for assessment (section 2).
ive been to visit my dad, the staff are brilliant there and he is receiving good care. He looked at me and my mum with such relief and kept saying about going home, he was calmer and smiling. We went again on Saturday and he was very aggressive and attempted to punch me, I know that's not him but my mum was very fightened again. The staff have advised that we don't visit at present as he has been very aggressive since and had to be physically pinned down today. I understand their reasoning but I can't help thinking that he feels abandoned by us, I've no idea what I'll happen next.
Sorry it's a long ramble, I just needed to get some of it off my chest.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
This would be hard enough to cope with at any time of the year. It probably seems even sadder and more horrible at Christmas.

At least your Dad's in the best place to get the help he needs and your Mum and you are safe.

We found my Mum's stay in an assessment unit produced lasting benefits for her and for the family. She moved up the priority list for attention from the medics and from the community health / social care teams. Previously Mum had been very much "under the radar" as Dad was so clearly a devoted, intelligent and very independent carer.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
You've done the best for him. He's now in a place of safety, so's your mum!
Be guided by the staff, as to visits, it may take some time for them to get him properly calmed down.

Bod