Dad refusing medication

Vicky67

Sep 27, 2020
Hi, my dad who is 78 was diagnosed in June with vascular dementia following a series of TIA’s and strokes. But he refuses to take any medication at all, instead relies on 58 supplements a day he used to take 78. His GP has researched them all and raised concerns about them and the dangers of some of them to him and the fact that some may well have contributed to his poor state of health but he says she knows nothing. Other than being told he has dementia we have had no other support other than being advised to sort out a power of attorney which dad has agreed to but only in relation to his finances. I have no idea what to expect, I have asked that occupational health assess his needs at home as his balance is not good but no one has been in contact yet, this was only requested in August. His GP has requested physio for him again we have heard nothing. I am so afraid for him and I guess for me too. I have a brother and sister living about 40 mins away but they have seen him very little and now with the lockdown this brings extra worry. I have a rare health condition myself and may be advised to shield, who will look after my dad. Dad has worked all his life and served in the Navy, and is not receiving benefits, I do not receive benefits either, I am not sure if this matters in relation to his care. He is living independently at the moment as advised by his GP to let him be independent until he can’t be. He can’t live with us it just is not practical, he can not manage the stairs at all. Even asking him to come for dinner is a concern because he often need the loo quickly which is difficult in our home. I am feeling very sad right now for him as he is confused and doesn’t understand the seriousness of his situation at all. He won’t let me clean for him or even remove the multiple mats he has on the floor which are a trip hazard.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Vicky67. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I hope you will find it helpful and supportive.

You have a dad who I think was always strong and independent and I doubt this will change for a while. I understand how upset you are about his uncooperative state but really feel the more you try to persuade him the more he will put his foot down and insist on doing his own thing.

My husband was like that and very much into alternative meication. We spent a fortume with a local naturopath . When I told our GP my husband was refusing his medication he advised we couldn`t use force and he just entered it in his notes.

One day my husband told me he felt terrible and I said it was because he was refusing his medication and then he agreed to take it again.

This link might help you.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I love our Pivotel with tipper.

View attachment 63254

Sorry I got distracted and replied to the wrong post!
( Possible early onset dementia on my behalf)?
Not sure this would benefit you at all!

Miss Elli

Apr 9, 2020
Hi, my dad who is 78 was diagnosed in June with vascular dementia following a series of TIA’s and strokes. But he refuses to take any medication at all, instead relies on 58 supplements a day he used to take 78. His GP has researched them all and raised concerns about them and the dangers of some of them to him and the fact that some may well have contributed to his poor state of health but he says she knows nothing. Other than being told he has dementia we have had no other support other than being advised to sort out a power of attorney which dad has agreed to but only in relation to his finances. I have no idea what to expect, I have asked that occupational health assess his needs at home as his balance is not good but no one has been in contact yet, this was only requested in August. His GP has requested physio for him again we have heard nothing. I am so afraid for him and I guess for me too. I have a brother and sister living about 40 mins away but they have seen him very little and now with the lockdown this brings extra worry. I have a rare health condition myself and may be advised to shield, who will look after my dad. Dad has worked all his life and served in the Navy, and is not receiving benefits, I do not receive benefits either, I am not sure if this matters in relation to his care. He is living independently at the moment as advised by his GP to let him be independent until he can’t be. He can’t live with us it just is not practical, he can not manage the stairs at all. Even asking him to come for dinner is a concern because he often need the loo quickly which is difficult in our home. I am feeling very sad right now for him as he is confused and doesn’t understand the seriousness of his situation at all. He won’t let me clean for him or even remove the multiple mats he has on the floor which are a trip hazard.
Insist on a visit from Adult Social Care, tell them he is not coping on his own and get your Primary Dementia Care Practitioner involved (you should have one after diagnosis), I did the same for my Mum as after diagnosis we had been left to carryon by ourselves as if nothing was wrong and Mum was rapidly getting worse and struggling living on her own. Her daily care visit is now in place and starting just this week, she may not be happy with it but it will be such a relief knowing she has interaction with a carer daily, who is also going to ensure Mum eats a good cooked lunch. Like you I'm on my own coping with this, nobody to share it with and I worry just as much for myself as for my Mum. I've found you have to push for any help but once you get those wheels in motion it should all happen. Good luck.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013

Seeing he has been in the Navy, would this be helpful.

Bod

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC