Dad refusing even fluids today

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by marts1711, Jun 3, 2015.

1. marts1711

marts1711 Registered User

Oct 25, 2014
    Dad is in the late stage dementia. Today the nursing home have phoned me to say he has refused all fluids today and my sister is rushing to the home as I write. He hasn't eaten any solid food for over 3 weeks as he has now developed dysphagia but he had previously been taking fluids before today. The GP was phoned but all he has said is keep an eye on him. How long can this go on? I don't know what to do! I live 200 miles away and feel so helpless.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello marts

As long as your dad is panfry and comfortable there is little else you can do. Your sister will be there for him to make sure he isn`t suffering.

It`s a most distressing time when you know the end is near. I`m so sorry.

3. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    Hope that your dad is peaceful and pain-free. Such a difficult time for you and your sister.