Dad refusing COVID booster

Els101

Dec 20, 2021
Hi all,

My dad has Alzheimers and his language centre in his brain has been damaged so he doesn't understand when anyone tries to talk to him. He had both COVID vaccines and is due a booster. However, we think he had a negative reaction to the vaccines and now refuses any injections (including the flu one). We have an LPA for his health and want him to take the booster to protect him. However, we have taken him to the vaccine centre 3 times now and he doesn't want to be there and doesn't understand why he needs to wait. He doesn't understand what is happening but moves away and says 'no' when he sees the injection. We can't explain to him what it is for or why he needs it as he doesn't understand. I've asked his GP surgery if they do home visits but this is only for patients who are 'housebound'. Does anyone know what we can do?

Thanks very much,

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'd say leave it. You've done your best and for him to refuse it on 3 occasions suggests he really doesn't want it. It might not be a sensible or rational decision but anyone is allowed to refuse treatment.

Even if someone came to the house, he'd still have to agree to it.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi all,

My dad has Alzheimers and his language centre in his brain has been damaged so he doesn't understand when anyone tries to talk to him. He had both COVID vaccines and is due a booster. However, we think he had a negative reaction to the vaccines and now refuses any injections (including the flu one). We have an LPA for his health and want him to take the booster to protect him. However, we have taken him to the vaccine centre 3 times now and he doesn't want to be there and doesn't understand why he needs to wait. He doesn't understand what is happening but moves away and says 'no' when he sees the injection. We can't explain to him what it is for or why he needs it as he doesn't understand. I've asked his GP surgery if they do home visits but this is only for patients who are 'housebound'. Does anyone know what we can do?

Thanks very much,
I don't think there is anything you can do. He's allowed to refuse vaccination and medical treatment.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All you can do is shield him as much as possible whilst infection rates are high.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @Els101
As hard as it is for you, I think you’re just going to have to leave it at the moment. Keeping trying risks more upset.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you brought him to our vaccination centre, he wouldnt queue, he would be allowed straight in
However, if the vaccinator had any indication that he didnt want it, they wouldnt give it.Ours would try and gain his confidence, But wouldnt do it against his will

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi all,

Thanks very much,
He Could be making the right Choice Look at NHS advice

Call 111 immediately if:

You get any of these symptoms starting from around 4 days to 4 weeks after being vaccinated:
  • a severe headache that is not relieved with painkillers or is getting worse
  • a headache that feels worse when you lie down or bend over
  • a headache that's unusual for you along with blurred vision, feeling or being sick, problems speaking, weakness, drowsiness or seizures (fits)
  • a rash that looks like small bruises or bleeding under the skin
  • shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling or persistent abdominal (tummy) pain
Heart inflammation (myocarditis)
There have been rare cases of inflammation of the heart (myocarditis) reported after COVID-19 vaccination. Most people who had this recovered following rest and simple treatments.

Get urgent medical advice if you have any of these symptoms within a few days of being vaccinated:
  • chest pain
  • shortness of breath
  • a fast-beating, fluttering or pounding heart (palpitations)
Information:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Alan Price song Changes

Everyone is going through changes
No one knows what's going on.
And everybody changes places-
But the world still carries on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks very much,
I wondered if you or other family member who hasn't yet had their 3rd jab could have it at the same time as your dad? It might distract him enough to allow them to do his.
I can understand his reluctance as I had reaction to my 1st & third. Nothing too serious but at the time i did wonder what impact all these & future jabs might be doing to our immune systems. All good now though!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi all,

Thanks very much,
Hi you omitted one very important bit of information “your Dads age “ :confused: without it its difficult to give a real opinion

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Does dads age make any difference? be him 21, 51, 71, or 91, if he wont hve a booster, he isnt as fully protected as he could be

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN