Dad recently diagnosed

chris6481

Jan 20, 2015
Hello everyone. I thought this might be the best place to start.

I am 23 years old. My dad is 83 and has has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's today. I am still upset as we are very close and the thought of this disease causing discomfort is horrible. Of course I am of a young age and did not imagine anything like this happening to be honest so it's scary to say the least.

I'm here to gain any advice and tips that may be of use if possible. Anything I can do.

Thanks

Chris

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Hi, Chris and welcome to TP. I'm sure you will find lots of help and support on here, as I have. Your next port of call is Social Services who will carry out an assessment of your dad and a carer's assessment on you. This is not as scary as it sounds and opens up a lot of doors for both of you. There are lots of charities such as Age UK, Alzheimers Society, Crossroads, etc which offer support and advice. SS can also advise on which benefits your dad may be entitled to ie Attendance Allowance, etc and can help with any forms which may need filled in. You are going to have a long battle ahead and looking after YOURSELF is no.1 priority and asking for help as no-one can cope with this on their own. Hope this helps and stay strong, x

Miss shiraz

Dec 24, 2014
Midlands
Welcome to TP Chris. My MIL was diagnosed nearly 12 months ago, the last year has had its challenges and life has settled down, we have a good routine which she likes.
If your Dad is granted attendance allowance then contact your council as he will qualify for council tax exemption. If you live with him, there is a pro rata reduction.
I read Contented Dementia book and whilst i don't agree with all of the methods mentioned it did help me understand the illness and we made some changes to how we 'deal with' MIL (this sounds awful way of saying it but can't think of other words)
There is also lots of guidance on the alzheimers society website, caring for a person with dementia.
The TPers have lots of experience and are always willing to share it and their ideas. You're not alone, always someone here to help.