Dad recently diagnosed

Bubbly44

Nov 4, 2019
Hello All , I am a new member on TP and looking at the forums I am so relieved to have found it.

As a family we are helping Dad (79) handle his dementia which has recently been diagnosed although we as a family have believed he's been suffering for a good few years but his GP decided it wasn;t ! It has become much more noticeable in the last year.I think Mum (77) was in denial for a long time until his driving was becoming a real concern earlier this year. Dad has now given up driving and his car has gone. This had a massive impact on him and he has become regularly upset and depressed and doesn't realise it was for everyone's safety.
My brother and I are at a loss as to how to deal with Dad's odd behavior and the responses we should give to help him rather than hinder , it's overwhelming and heartbreaking watching this very proud , strong family man who has always looked after everyone else slowly deteriorate before us and change into a different Dad, Husband, Grandad etc.
My Mum is struggling watching her husband of 61 years fade away before her eyes. My heartbreaks for her. Luckily she is in good health and has always looked after him through various illnesses throughout their marriage taking it all in her stride dealing with his severe back/ neck injury , prostrate cancer, triple by-pass. However this cruel illness Dementia has floored her and now we are seeing how much it is impacting on her.

Wow! ....that was like a little bit of therapy to write and I apologise for waffling on !

I came across a link which found a massive help as we were all so concerned as how to respond to Dad in the best way but I am unable to post on my thread as I'm a new member. I'm hoping it can be re-posted by a moderator / admin as it will be very helpful to others who are newly learning how to handle loved ones in the best way.

communication with memory loss -Is the link.

I am so grateful for the information on this site , it will become a valuable place to visit as we all work our way through this journey as a family with Mum and Dad.

Thank you

xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Bubbly44 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place. Dementia is tough for all involved but you are now in a good forum.

I see you have had time to take a good look around the site and seen that it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Bubbly44

Nov 4, 2019
Thank you and yes I think it does help to get it out there .

Yes, that's the link. I think it's very helpful for anyone dealing with a loved one in the early stages of dementia. Just knowing what the best way to respond to Dad is going to help the whole family.