Dad recently diagnosed. How to best deal with issues like LPA, holidays, doors......

HanSpan

Aug 9, 2013
Sorry in advance - this is really long - I really do waffle on don't I? Sorry I now haven't the energy to try and edit to something shorter. I've got four questions numbered at the end if you don't fancy reading all the drivel;)

I posted in the introduction thread. Sue38 thanks for the response and links.

Dad has been to see a Neuropsychologist after going to the memory clinic & I have seen the report. It says he has a high IQ but all the memory and visiospacial results are poor. They suspect mixed dementia - partially Alzheimers, partially vascular - and that he has declined significantly recently. He also has depression - untreated - which is probably contributing.

He lives alone, I live a few hours away. In the past we've always spoken maybe once every few weeks and I've spent the night with him maybe once every 6 weeks. We're both a bit forgetful and disorganised by nature so we both tend to think about ringing then not get round to it for days.

Dad also has mobility issues - something mysterious wrong with his leg that gives him pain and weakness, then a hip operation a few years ago. He used to walk miles round London - art galleries and so on - but is now struggling and using a stick and falling over frequently, although he seems to bounce as he never breaks anything!

Just over a week ago he told me he had been unable to get out of his arm chair and had had to crawl across the floor to get to another chair to get up. He also told me about the dementia diagnosis and that he thought he was getting worse. I went into a bit of a panic! I think I've been in denial about it all as its been slowly getting worse for a long while but this made me wake up with a bump.

Dad seems to have a very fluid sense of time which makes finding out exactly what has happened with the doctors very confusing! so I told him I would ring the GP surgery and spoke to a lovely doctor P who then spoke to Dad then me again. Dr P is not Dad's actual GP - that's a lady who Dad really doesn't like much - he thinks she is useless - but he is impatient and intolerant so the poor woman may actually be fine. Anyway Dr P advised I spoke to social services which I did and they will send someone to assess his mobility & what aids they can give - but who knows when. I did mention the dementia but hadn't seen the report at that point so didn't realise he was assessed as being so impaired.

The next day I went to see him which is when I got to see the report about the dementia, as well as one about his leg and the fact the basically don't think they can do anything. Dad is increasingly cross and impatient and won't listen and doesn't accept what they say about his leg. I have to keep telling him things again and again as he reverts to whatever he thought several hours (or days) before and we have to go round the same conversation again. Its exhausting and I haven't really slept since. I have mental health problems myself - depression and anxiety - so I'm not starting from the best place to deal with all of this anyway.

Sorry for waffling on - I'm not sure if all that background is really necessary!
I'm going down to see him Saturday with my partner (I'm taking him to do odd jobs like change light bulbs and fix taps) and I've got some specific things I'd like advice or at least suggestions on:

1: The front door.
Just before I visited the time before last week Dad had a new door fitted. Its one where you have to push the handle up and turn the key to lock it. His old one locked when you pulled it closed. So he keeps leaving it open! I told him he has to turn the key & he said 'oh no I just need to push the handle up' I showed him I could still get in. When I arrived last week I could again just walk in. I explained again, he said he just needs to lift the handle again. I then told him I'd already shown him a few weeks earlier - should I have said that? I think it made him cross! So he says "Oh OK I can lock it" and I thought (but did not say) "yes but you won't".

So what do I do? I'm concerned for his safety and that he doesn't get burgled. Should I put a sticker inside the door? a note on his keys? Try and get the door fitter to come & change the lock mechanism? I'm pretty sure whatever I do will make him cross so is it worth it? do stickers have any effect?

2: LPA. Dad and I spoke about this ages ago - and oh how I wish I'd done it then! The memory clinic gave him a leaflet about EPAs and LPAs and he found it confusing and it made him really annoyed. I find it really hard to explain why he should have one - I guess because all the stuff I've now read its clearly set up to stop money grabbing relatives, which I'm most certainly not, but I feel like I'm pushing him and shouldn't be. Part of the problem is he really has very few friends, his neighbours are mainly old and have their own problems, and he doesn't like his own GP so who on earth can a proud man ask to certificate for him? The other thing is the forms are endless and confusing for someone with all their wits about them - let alone someone starting to get dementia. And the fact he can't get to grips with it all just makes him really angry & he directs that at 'them' that wrote it and wants to contact them and have a go about what a terribly written thing it is, rather than getting on with doing it! I left him with just the introduction stuff about why you would want an LPA, plus the page about who the different people are you need to involve, and he said he'd look but "its not urgent is it?"

How have any of you managed to get it sorted without feeling like you were putting on undue pressure? How can I explain that it is urgent without making everything worse? I did mention maybe a solicitor but he threw a totally wobbly at the idea of spending money on those 'charlatans'.

3: Holidays. Dad has spent the 20 years since he retired going on endless trips. For years he drove to the south of France for three weeks in September and twice I have gone and stayed with him for a long weekend, last time with my partner. Dad's inability to do this, or go anywhere else he's loved going to in the past, is definitely adding to his depression so I offered that we would go away with him for a week. He has dithered endlessly about whether he feels up to it. I think its both his mobility and his increasing lack of confidence due to the dementia. I've offered two options. A week in the place he has always gone to in France, or on a Greek island where he's never been. There's pros and cons to each - he knows France but there's not decent beach nearby (which he wants not me!) whereas Greece will be unfamiliar but there's a lovely beach just a few minutes walk. I also wonder if familiar but unable to do what he used to - he won't have a car - will be depressing.

So which do any of you think would be better? And more importantly, if he's reluctant, should I push him or let him be? Its really hard as to be honest it won't be much of a holiday for us as he will probably drive us mad. I could really do with a week alone with my bed;)

4: last one. I think I'd actually really like to try a physical support group. Are there any? How does one find them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has even got this far.

Last edited by a moderator:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi HanSpan, welcome to TP. Just some quick answers, no doubt others will be on soon to give you more help and support. It's so tough caring at a distance isn't it?

1 get the locksmith to change the lock to a split spindle. This means you can't get in from the outside but can get outside just by using the handle.

2 Fill in the LPA form for your dad and get him to sign it. Mum was happy to do the LPA's (one for financial and one for health) in case anything happened to her so we could pay the bills for her.

3 What about a short beach holiday in the UK to start with, it will test out his copng ability.

4 look for a carers support group in your area on this website or just google it.

Sorry I can't do a long reply, am in the office and supposed to be working!

Hugs x

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Hanspan - I'm supposed to be working too, so I'll have to make it short(ish).

Firstly don't worry about writing long posts - sometimes it's good to write/type everything out. I know it helps me to get my own thoughts in order. It also helps others to get a good idea of the background.

1. I found my dad struggled to get to grips with anything new. We changed the telephone to cordless but he couldn't get the hang of pressing a button to answer and hang up. Equally stickers may work but may not. I know nothing about locks, but the split spindle sounds like an option.

2. LPA's. Everyone should do an LPA, not just those with dementia. If your father were to have a stroke, or fall and break his hip again how would you deal with his finances? It might be better not to link the LPA with his dementia - just suggest that it's a good idea to get it sorted. You might tell him that if for any reason he was unable to deal with his financial affairs and didn't have an LPA in place you would have to make an application to the Court. The court fee for that is £400, not to mention that you might need to use a solicitor/charlatan to make the application which could cost him a lot of money ;).

Have you seen the online LPA tool? https://www.gov.uk/lasting-power-of-attorney Basically you input the information and it prepares the forms for you. As to a certificate provider, anyone doing an LPA would need a certificate provider, not just someone who has a diagnosis of dementia. Would Dr P do it?

3. loveahug's suggestion of a holiday in the UK first is a good one.

4. Have a look here for support in your area.

And having typed all that it's now lunchtime :).

HanSpan

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks for the ideas. We will definitely investigate the lock, that will be first on my lovely OHs list of jobs after changing the lightbulb tomorrow!

I think one of my issues is that, having realised there is a problem I want to sort everything at once - I am a bit of an all or nothing sort of person!

So tomorrow I shall try and restrain myself to the LPA. I feel that's the most important thing to get sorted at the moment.
What happens if he doesn't have an LPa and can't make decisions? who would sort his finances, and make decisions for him?

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Hi HanSpan

Sorry about your dad's diagnosis. I'm also a distant carer which I'm trying to resolve at the moment.

Everyone else has pretty much said what I was going to say but the LPA is really important and not just to stop people from taking their money, it's so you can deal with all of his financial and health matters when he's no longer able to. I've taken over mum's finances and I'm SO glad I did. Mum has had problems taking money out because she keeps forgetting her pin number. Also, I can keep an eye on her banking from here with internet banking.

You need to get the financial and health lpas. That means you can speak to dad's gp and deal with the carers etc later on. I did mum's using the online form, it's relatively straight forward once you start going through it, although I did find it fairly stressful. TOP TIP: Take a photocopy of the form before sending it to the OPG!!!! They lost mine and thank goodness I'd taken a copy because was just able to get mum to certify it and send off again.

Perhaps if you do it all for dad and then tell him why it's so important for the future, he might be happier just to sign it. Thankfully my mum's dr told her she had to do one so she just agreed.

It's all so hard isn't it. Not wanting to upset them or tread on toes but needing to keep them safe.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chook
xx

HanSpan

Aug 9, 2013
Well we didn't go to visit becuase Dad told me not to. Hopefully he won't tell us not to next week! I think its going to be some time before he starts allowing me to help - he's an independant, stubborn sod;)
He did seem a bit better on the phone, although he's still confused about what medical appointment he has with whom on which day next week - mind you he was always a bit dizzy about these sorts of things so I'm hoping the pain he was in with the leg, and lack of sleep, made him seem much worse than he really is last week.
By the end of the conversation he'd sorted it out that he has the memory man in November and Dr P at the GP surgery this coming week, although he has to ring tomorrow morning as he has Monday written in the diary and Tuesday on the wall calendar. Still he's back to going out on the bus for lunch and to wander round the shops so at least he's a bit happier (even if I've got the urge to have him chained to the house so he can't get lost or fall down a hole).

The problem with just doing the LPA is who to put on the form as the certificate provider. They need to have agreed to it and Dad will need to talk to them and they will need to sign it. If I could get him to agree to who to ask I'd call them myself! But he still just keeps saying 'oh its not urgent'. Grrrrrr. I think I'm going to have to explain how stressed its making me and appeal to his fatherly concern that I get some bloody sleep!

Oh & he promises he has the door sorted and is locking it so I needn't worry about changing the spindle.

This is going to be a long and bumpy up and down ride isn't it? I guess I better just get used to the idea.

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
The certificate provider can be a doctor or friend. We had a close friend of mum's do it but as I say, mum was quite happy to go along, it may be different if your dad's not so keen.

Could you tell a little porky to smooth things along? It's a common problem I think, maybe do a search of the forum for ideas.

I think you're right, we're in for a bumpy ride!
x

HanSpan

Aug 9, 2013
I managed to lose this post so sorry for not replying earlier.
Its become a bit of a moot point - at least for now - as he's in hospital with a fracture at the moment and has lost the plot so I'd not let him sign anything - let alone ask someone else to declare him competent.

Dad didn't object to the idea of the IPA - ie he's happy for me to help with his finances - just the documents the memory clinic gave that were confusing (a page about EPAs you can't have before staring on LPAs), how confusing all the process and forms are, and the cost - that made him utterly outraged! Plus he kept saying it wasn't urgent (and how the events of the past week with him falling and going gaga in hospital have proved that untrue)

The difficulty with a certificate provider is that basically all of Dads close friends are dead, apart from my Mum's cousin who is not allowed as he is related by marriage. There's one elderly neighbour who would qualify in terms of friendship I guess - but to be honest he's so decrepid I think if anyone investigted they'd declare him incapable of making a sane decision about Dad being sane. Then there's the GP. She says he will heve to pay - maybe up to £250 (he will have a total wobbler if he ever regains enough sense to discuss this again) plus he really doesn't like her (and I didn't warm to her much either) as he finds her humourless and disinterested.

I did go visit another of his neighbours that Dad doesn't like that much but who has always been very charming to me. He has a wife who has a daily carer in and is about to go into respite for a fortnight so I at least now have some contacts close to Dad's home and the hospital to investigate for when(if) he goes home.

There's one last neighbour - who wasn't in when I was there yesterday- that I need to talk to, not particuarly about this, I'm more urgently concerned about where his front door key went when the ambulance locked up and wonder if these neighbours have it! Dad likes the wife but I have never met her so I took her phone number from Dad's pinboard.

I'm currently debating whether to ring the hospital for an update, the neighbour to explain, the ambulance service to continue trying to find the key, or whether just go find some (more) wine and go hide in a corner.