Dad passed away

Bonesy2890

Dec 26, 2021
Hi all my Dad passed away 2 days ago it all happened so quick ? We were lucky to be able to say goodbye to him. I've kept it together some of the time but just miss him so much. Can someone please tell me it gets easier ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It will get easier @Bonesy2890 but it will take time and you must allow yourself time to grieve.

Please accept my deepest sympathy. It sounds an unexpected death and you may be in shock

Give yourself time. Breathe deeply your dad’s suffering is over.

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Sending you my condolences @Bonesy2890 . It must be such a shock. My dad is seriously ill in hospital at the moment and I think I will soon be treading the same heartbreaking path. Sending you a healing hug. Take good care of yourself x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dad @Bonesy2890, the end sometimes arrives much quicker than we are prepared for, even when we know it will come - and it is a huge shock when that happens. I am glad that you did manage to say goodbye, that will be of some comfort in time to come - and yes, things do gradually become less raw and cutting, but it takes time, as much time as is needed. I wish you and your family strength to get through this awful time.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for your loss of your Dad, so hard but probably even more so around Christmas time. My dad died nearly 7 years ago he was poorly over Christmas time (not dementia related) and it still hurts and I miss him so much. I don't think it gets easier, but we do get a little bit better at coping with the loss.

Take care x

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing Bonesy2890! I lost my dad 12 years ago that was also near Christmas time and the funeral was a week before Christmas. I can always remember the hymn that was played was 'Silent Night and even to this day it brings tears to my eyes hearing it or I switch it off if I can't bring myself to listen to it. It does'nt get easier you will learn to accept it ....

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
So sorry to hear of your father's sudden passing. Wishing you all possible solace and strength during this testing time. xxx

It both does and doesn't get easier.

I'm four years on from Mum's death in December 2017 - we had to wait over Christmas before we could organise her funeral. I still feel very sad from time to time, particularly in twinges in the middle of the night, and I still catch myself thinking for a moment that I should tell Mum about something that happened and then feeling so sad when I remember that I can't.

But I certainly do feel much more 'normal' than I did at the time, when it was just overwhelming. Five months after it happened I went away with my husband for his music weekend and I remember just sitting on a bench looking at the countryside and feeling oh so weak and so tired as if I just couldn't take it all in. I wasn't sleeping well, either.

But now I do feel that I can go on with the rest of my life. So it does get easier - or at least, one becomes able to press the mute button on Grief. I think the process is gradual, but I started to feel better two or three years after Mum's death as it sank in and I was able to accept what had happened.