dad now refusing to eat and drink

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
Hiya guys,

Dad is now refusing to eat or drink and is spitting his meds out . They have prescribed him a mild sedative to see if that helps. Not sure about that. Anyway they said last night they are worried about him. They are getting a dietician and a speech therapist in.

Either hes having trouble swallowing or hes just given up. But would he have enough memory to think about starving himself to death?

Jackie xxx

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
IS anything upsetting him? Could you provide something you know he couldn't resist and you try giving it to him? With Mum it was tiny individual pot pudding that she would eat ( trife, choc mousse, individual cheesecake type stuff)

It was a tiny portion and not a plateful which seemed to help

Does he have food left so he could graze if he wanted to?
Look at food aimed at children (- much of which is rubbish but......!) Indiviual portions of bite sized biscuits , a few cheddar biscuits, bits and pieces with definate tastes.

When mum eventually lost her ability to swallow, food went round and round in her mouth- she couldn't fathom swallowing or spitting it out again.

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
Thanks. The other problem which obviously isn't helping is he won't put his teeth in anymore. He gags when he or we try and put them in and gets worked up and shouts he's gonna be sick.

So we are left with soft options.

Jackie xxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...he won't put his teeth in anymore. He gags when he or we try and put them in and gets worked up and shouts he's gonna be sick..."

Has his mouth and gums been checked for ulcers and/or inflammation?

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
No they haven't . It just seemed to happen when we started asking him for them so we could clean them. And after the last time he just wouldn't/couldn't put them back in without gagging. They don't even reach his gums. But I will mention it to the staff, thanks for that x

memaggie2

Nov 9, 2014
scotland
Hi Jackie , i'm sorry your Dad is so poorly , has it been checked that he's not got an infection particularly a urinary tract one? Constipation may also make him not want to eat.
It wouldn't be a conscious wish to starve himself but many people with dementia come to a point when they can no longer eat or drink. A decision then has to be made what to do. Drs are often prone to doing everything they can to prolong life and avoid negligence claims; This isn't always in the best interests of the patient. So make sure you get to talk to the doctor yourself
I lost mum recently with this issue
regards
Maggie

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
Thanks maggie, and sorry you lost your mum.

The dr prescribed him a mild sedative to try and get him to eat and he has eaten some dinner and a bit of yoghurt. He's skin and bone bless him. Getting pushed round in a wheelchair. And he's wiped out. Prob the sedative. This is no type of existense is it? So f***in cruel!

See what tomorrow brings. I was goin to take my little boy to see him but he prob woudnt recognise his gdad. And dads also soiling himself. He wouldnt want him to see him like that.

Thanks again xxx