Dad now LA Funded..I think Mum needs to change her Will - advise please?

referee50

Apr 24, 2013
Hi there
Having POA for both my Mum and Dad I am trying to keep on top of their affairs. Dad has Altz and is in a Care Home. His savings have now gone and the LA will be paying his fees from this month. It occured to me that as they have Joint Life First Death Wills, and share ownership of thier home, if Mum were to go before Dad, everything would go to him, and I assume subsequently he would become Self Funding again. Mum is paniking and I have made an appointment for us to see a Solicitor, but I have no idea what we should be aiming for to protect her assests...has anyone else been in this position, and advise would be very much appreciated.:eek:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
All I did was to change our joint ownership to Tenants-in-common.
This can be done unilaterally by simply writing a letter terminating the joint ownership but to make it more watertight in view of possible LA problems in the future, I did it via a solicitor.

I changed my Will at the same time, leaving all my assets to my daughters including my half of the house.

I do think the ability to do this might change in the future though.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I asked for someone to witness my giving the letter to my husband and, as he eas in hospital at the time, a lady from PALS came.
She asked if I'd like her to sign the letter as a witness and of course I agreed.