Dad now has Covid in care home

Sueperzoom

Aug 15, 2021
After a few weeks in hospital dad was moved to a care home on d2a because he couldn't walk. He made great progress, was back to being able to feed himself and walk again- albeit with a zimmer frame now. He was due to come home today but sadly started with a chest infection on Tuesday and tested positive for covid on Wednesday.

The care home said he now has to stay in his room all the time and is left in bed because he's not safe to be left in a chair on his own. He can no longer feed himself. He is left on his own but has hourly checks. Every time I have asked to speak to him on the phone they've put me off and today they finally flat out refused saying unless he has his own mobile, they can't get a phone to him. They've also told me to only ring once a day - I was ringing twice a day.

My heart breaks at the thought of him being stuck in a room on his own all day with little interaction from anyone. Everytime I've been to visit they always have the blinds closed in his bedroom so he won't even know if it's daytime. They can't tell me if or when I'll be able to bring dad home, saying that will be up to public health. So I've no idea how long this lockdown is likely to go on for.

I get the staff there are under a lot of stress. This whole situation is horrible. I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Just needed to vent I guess.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The care home is in a Catch 22 situation @Sueperzoom I'm sure you realise this.

Life is easier now for the general public but new cases of covid are still being reported daily and care home I suspect are still under the same levels of stress as they ever were.

It doesn't`t help you knowing your dad is in isolation I know. I would hate to be in the same position.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
How awful, @Sueperzoom. My partner has tested positive for Covid in her nursing home after nearly 3 months of being bedbound due to her skin condition. No answers for you, just fellow feeling and a hope that your dad will be fit and safe to go home soon.