Dad Needs To Have Cataracts Removed Could I Have Some Advice Please

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello everyone!

Today I finally got dad to his cataracts appointment on the NHS at a private hospital. Anyway I was informed that I would need to sort out a Health and Welfare POA which I can straight away but I thought I would inform you all that apparently now a days if a PWD has an operation this needs to be produced. I thought I would also inform you dad has been referred to our main hospital because I told the optician that dad's geriatrician said that he would need to have the operation under general anaesthetic. I'll let you know what happens.

MaNaAk

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That might be a localised requirement of that particular hospital so I wouldn't generalise like that, though I agree that it's a good idea to have a health & welfare LPA. However, it will take at least 8 weeks to be registered - are they prepared to wait for it?

Also, have you spoken to a consultant about the effects of a general anaesthetics and after-care? It might be very difficult for your dad to understand that he will have to get drops in his eyes etc., and GA can cause a lot of confusion.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
That might be a localised requirement of that particular hospital so I wouldn't generalise like that, though I agree that it's a good idea to have a health & welfare LPA. However, it will take at least 8 weeks to be registered - are they prepared to wait for it?

Also, have you spoken to a consultant about the effects of a general anaesthetics and after-care? It might be very difficult for your dad to understand that he will have to get drops in his eyes etc., and GA can cause a lot of confusion.

Thankyou so much Beate!

I had a feeling this was a case regarding that hospital but our local NHS hospital might be different especially after dad making so many visits there recently and several more visits to come. Dad has had drops in his eyes with no problems previously but that said he may not like me putting them in so I will have to think about this. Also I spoke to his geriatrician on the phone about this and he told me about some of the side effects. Dad will also be seeing this consultant again in April regarding his low blood pressure and I hope to make this another memory test.

Thanks again Beate

MaNaAk