Dad low folate. Senior Nurse Practitioner agreed no medication.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad’s folate result was 2.9 in his blood results. The nurse phoned me to speak to me to say she could give a supplement but didn’t think it would do much good. Due to his health issues and dementia. I agreed with her. At 881/2 and all of his health issues it won’t do much good. His Egfr is now 28 having gone from 42 in the summer.
I stopped looking after him 4 days a week about 6 months ago.
Today he ate all of his breakfast but only 1/2 of his lunch. He didn’t want a pudding. Today he has only had 3 drinks which is 450 mls.
Today he has been a real pain.. He has been falling asleep as he does now. But he still has all of his temper!
I needed to get him out of his recliner but used the stand aid with the cleaner. Boy did I get told. He wasn’t going to use that!
I told him if he could walk that maybe he should get out of his chair. I got it even more in the neck then!
To care for someone when you have never had a good relationship is hard..
The carers are saying that the toilet is leaking at the bottom.
I have fixed it twice before.
It is do to Miss perfect and now other carers putting dad on the toilet via the Sara Stedy. The bathroom is the size of a small box room. This is again due to dad requesting it. I have left them a note telling them why but it will be ignored. Dad will get his own way.. I left dad early. I’d had enough.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Dad’s folate result was 2.9 in his blood results. The nurse phoned me to speak to me to say she could give a supplement but didn’t think it would do much good. Due to his health issues and dementia. I agreed with her. At 881/2 and all of his health issues it won’t do much good. His Egfr is now 28 having gone from 42 in the summer.
I stopped looking after him 4 days a week about 6 months ago.
Today he ate all of his breakfast but only 1/2 of his lunch. He didn’t want a pudding. Today he has only had 3 drinks which is 450 mls.
Today he has been a real pain.. He has been falling asleep as he does now. But he still has all of his temper!
I needed to get him out of his recliner but used the stand aid with the cleaner. Boy did I get told. He wasn’t going to use that!
I told him if he could walk that maybe he should get out of his chair. I got it even more in the neck then!
To care for someone when you have never had a good relationship is hard..
The carers are saying that the toilet is leaking at the bottom.
I have fixed it twice before.
It is do to Miss perfect and now other carers putting dad on the toilet via the Sara Stedy. The bathroom is the size of a small box room. This is again due to dad requesting it. I have left them a note telling them why but it will be ignored. Dad will get his own way.. I left dad early. I’d had enough.
i suppose it wont change his temper to have folate. i think you do wonders with both parents. hows your mum doing? miss perfect wont take a telling

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
i suppose it wont change his temper to have folate. i think you do wonders with both parents. hows your mum doing? miss perfect wont take a telling
Hi. No dad has always been like this. He won’t be advised or told by a woman. He has always got his own way as people could be afraid of him. Oh no Miss perfect won’t be told! She knows him better than me apparently. Let’s hope sewage doesn’t come up. That will be a problem.
Mum is doing better. Still awaiting the CA125 blood result but she has been cleared from the bowel department. She has diverticulitis like me. They found cysts on her liver and ovaries. Apparently cysts on liver can be congenital defect. I never knew that. So another congenital defect as well as the heart.?

Last edited:

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
If there is a problem with the toilet then you will need a plumber …they are like gold dust to get.
You need a plumbing emergency to force him into a care home for a while. If he has capacity to say no to that then he can get a plumber!!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
If there is a problem with the toilet then you will need a plumber …they are like gold dust to get.
You need a plumbing emergency to force him into a care home for a while. If he has capacity to say no to that then he can get a plumber!!
Yep. There is a number he can call. Should be interesting as he never uses the phone as he has problems with co ordination. How I wish I never had LPOA. Believe me if it gets to an emergency he will go in one. Ideal time to change it into a wet room?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I don't know about sneaky @TNJJ I am sure that most people who read your posts would consider you have more than stepped up to the mark considering what you have dealt with and you still have humour. You deserve a medal.

I really can't believe how your dad has gone on like this.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I don't know about sneaky @TNJJ I am sure that most people who read your posts would consider you have more than stepped up to the mark considering what you have dealt with and you still have humour. You deserve a medal.

I really can't believe how your dad has gone on like this.
Thank you. Neither can i. When I left yesterday I’d had enough. I’d only seen him for 4 hours. I think my patience has finally run dry..

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
It’s not that you are not bothered @TNJJ , but that you have done all you can to help and there really isn’t much more you can do. Your dad should have stayed in the care home he had respite in a couple of years ago. Both he and you would have had a much better quality of life.
‘Only’ four hours, I couldn’t manage more than two with my mum when she was at home, and she was at a much earlier stage than your dad.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It’s not that you are not bothered @TNJJ , but that you have done all you can to help and there really isn’t much more you can do. Your dad should have stayed in the care home he had respite in a couple of years ago. Both he and you would have had a much better quality of life.
‘Only’ four hours, I couldn’t manage more than two with my mum when she was at home, and she was at a much earlier stage than your dad.
I agree. He should have. The carers are not going to be able to manage for too much longer as he is now declining on food and drinks. Maybe as he is now stage 4 in kidney stage we could be heading towards kidney failure. Who knows. It is out of my hands..

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I’m going into see both parents today. Only for an hour with dad as miss perfect is there at lunchtime. I spoke to a friend yesterday who put things into perspective. I have decided I’m not going it at all next week to see him. I’m away to Exmouth Dec 6 th for a week . Turkey and Tinsel. My daughter will be allocated to answer any SOS from the carers etc. I cannot wait.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I went and saw the parents. Mum was ok. When I appeared at dads he was confused. He thought we were still in June as that was when the eldest got married. He is very breathless today. He is definitely looking worse.
On a good note the carer got it in the neck today. The life line keeps dropping off his wrist as he is losing weight but it is also stretched. She asked if he still had it on. He nearly jumped out of his seat when he replied. “ Of course” That was an edited version ?. She raised her eyebrows at me when she went passed me.. He has enough food for 14 days . What fun!!
7775F311-232C-4E51-9DF1-9DA056099068.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kez15