Dad loses track of time and thinks partner seeing someone else

Severine

Jan 8, 2013
My Dad (86) has Alzheimers. He lives with his partner of 7 years in her home (he was widowed 20 yrs ago) and they are devoted to each other. However, recently when his partner goes out (grocery shopping for example), Dad loses all track of time and thinks she has been gone hours. He gets very distressed left alone and phones us to say she has been geon hours, that she has left him and is probably seeing someone else (she is 76 and spends her life looking after him so highly unlikely!). He doesn't realise how bad he is and gets cross if we suggest he has lose track of time or is being unduly suspicious.

Does anyone have any experience of helping an Alzheimers sufferer keep track of time or any other helpful suggestions. Thank you. Sev.

irishmanc

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Hi Sev,
Sorry to hear that. My Dad was exactly the same about my Mum. Whenever she would try to escape and meet a friend for a cup of coffee, he would get very distressed and accuse her of seeing other men. He simply could not remember where she had gone and with whom. It was upsetting for her as she then felt that she could not leave him and it affected her ability to live her life. All attempts to help him keep track of time were simply not effective as the disease will not permit it.
Eventually, they contacted the local Alzheimer's Society and they sent a sitter around to the house to stay with him while Mum was out. She could remind him where Mum had gone and do activities with him as a distraction. It worked out well.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I would suggest a sitting/befriending service too, or day care. His partner has the right to her own life but any distress to him obviously should be minimised. Btw, never argue with or correct someone with dementia. Agree, sympathise then distract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R