Dad, late stages not eating or drinking...how long?

KateR

May 9, 2006
Newcastle upon Tyne
Finally at peace

Just an update to all the lovely people who replied to this thread.

Sadly, my Dad passed away at 9.30 this morning. Mum and I were with him and holding his hand when he took his final breath and died.

We received a call at 5.30 this morning to say that his breathing was starting to slow down. We went to the hospital and by about 8.30 his breathing was becoming more and more eratic and his hands were turning blue. The priest arrived unexpectedly at 9.15 to give him the last rites (for the third time!) and whilst he was there we noticed that his face and head were becoming very blotchy and discoloured. The priest finished and left and within a minute or two of him leaving the room Dad turned a very strange waxy colour, took a couple of breaths and passed away. Even though I knew it would feel terrible nothing could have prepared me for the immense feeling of grief that simply overwhelmed both me and my Mum.

Please everyone, raise your virtual glasses (single malt was always his preference :) ) and join me in a toast to my Dad.

RIP Frank 29 August 1929 - 5 August 2007

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
So very sorry to hear of your dad's passing. It will be a comfort to you that you were there. Thinking of you and your mum now and in the days ahead. I hope your grief will be lightened by the knowledge you supported him so lovingly and that you can reclaim many happy memories from his shared life with you.
Blue sea

Tina

May 19, 2006
Here's to Frank!!

Dear Kate, I'm so sorry to hear your dad has passed away...there's a saying "Being prepared doesn't necessarily make it any easier." I#m glad you and your mum could be there with him. He died surrounded by your love and that must have been very comforting to him.
He'll always be with you, and yes, of course you will miss him terribly. May you find a bit of comfort in the happy memories and the knowledge that he is at peace now. Look after yourself too.
My sympathies to you and yours at this sad time.

Love Tina xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My deepest sympathy Kate, to you and your mother. I`m so pleased you were able to be there for him. You did everything right.

With love xx

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
KateR said:
Please everyone, raise your virtual glasses (single malt was always his preference :) ) and join me in a toast to my Dad.

RIP Frank 29 August 1929 - 5 August 2007

Dear Kate, your dad would have been so proud of you. It was lovely that you and your mum were able to be with him at the end. It's such a privilege.

Yes, you're grieving, and will for a long time, but be glad that your dad had such a peaceful end.

I'll gladly raise a toast to him, and also to his brave wife and daughter.

Much love,

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Dear Kate

I am so very sorry you had to lose your Dad to this horrible disease, but pleased and honoured that sharing these last few days with us helped a little.

He will be at peace now, so very pleased that you were both with him for his peaceful departure from this life.

I am raising a glass........to Frank, a man who was so well loved by his wife and daughter Kate.

Kathleen
xx

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Kate and your mum,
so sorry to hear of your dad passing away.Its a far far better place that we go to than the one we left.The only thing we regret is leaving the ones we love.take care both of you.love elainex

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Dear Kate,

I am so sorry to read your sad news. What a lovely daughter you are. Thinking of you and your mother at this very unhappy time.

Love Carolx

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Dear Kate

All my symphathy to you and your Mum at this sad time.

I will join you in your toast to Frank.

Look after Mum and yourself

Love
Alfjess

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Kate and Mum

Sending my condolences to you and your mum. I am sure Frank appreciated what a devoted wife and daughter he had.

May he now rest in peace free from this dreadful disease.

Raising a glass of single malt in dad’s honour as I type this, whilst thinking of you and your mum.

Love

Cate

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Kate and Kate's Mum,
Here's to your Dad and your husband. Obviously a wonderful man who inspired the love of two very special women. May he rest in peace and may your memories sustain you in this sad tiime. Loving thoughts to you both.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Dear Kate,

I have been following this thread and am so sorry to hear that your Dad has passed but hope that you will find some comfort in the fact that his suffering is now at an end and that you and your mum were with him.

Take care,

melbee

Sep 23, 2006
North West England
Dear Kate,

Sending my sincere condolences to you, your Mum and family at this very sad time.

Your Dad would have been so proud of you and he is now suffering from this evil illness 'no more'. I'll gladly raise a glass in his memory.

Please you take care of yourself and your Mum.

God Bless
Melanie

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Dear Kate,

So sorry that the end has come, but you will now be safe in the knowledge that dad took all your love with him to the next life.

You'll be take great comfort from the fact that you and your mum were with him til the end, that will stay with you for ever.

My family and I want you to know we're thinking of you and your family at this sad time. Our love goes out to you all. Take care of yourselves and seek comfort from each other.

God Bless, R.I.P Frank.

Gill
xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman