Dad Keeps Falling

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Hi

I thought I would start a new thread, I am not new to this site but haven't posted for a while just a quick recap - Dad is 89 has has VD for 3 years he is in a Nursing Home that is at present been branded inadequate, he is self funding and am thinking of looking elsewhere. He is very hard of hearing, has arthritis, partially sighted, and has low blood pressure when he stands, and they think he has a problem with his heart, has an appointment with the cardiologist in Feb.
My main problem at the moment is the falls he keeps having they informed me of the last one which was on Christmas night (the 8th that I know of) this resulted in another bang to the head which bled and is about 2 cm wide.
Surely this is not good for Vascular Dementia???

I am really worried about this - should I get him out of there or speak to his GP and ask for a head scan - I am his POA for finance but not for health. He has had an assessment and in her opinion he has lost his mental capacity for making his own decisions, he is also Latvian and goes back to his mother tongue now very frequently and I really don't think he recognises me anymore even though I go to see him three times a week
Any help will be appreciated

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Falls are often a problem with dementia, mum has fallen when I have been stood right beside her and recently she fell and broke her arm despite being in a CH. So, being in a CH will not guarantee that they can prevent falls, but if she is in a good CH they should be able to reduce the likelihood of it happening. Does your dad use a walking frame? Mum has been much better since she has started using one. If you are not happy with her present CH then it would make sense to look for another one.
Im not sure why you are thinking of a head scan - he probably wouldnt be able to keep still for one anyway.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My mum also has low blood pressure on standing. Fluids and not lying down all the time are important. My mum uses a tripod and that has helped a lot. Maybe time to look at new homes if your not happy.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I wish I knew how to prevent falls. My husband was also a walker and as time went on he suffered from the most horrid falls which caused gashes to his head, bruising to his face, body, arms etc., but it was impossible for either staff or myself to prevent him walking.

Perhaps a helmet on his head may prevent the head injuries you fear.

xxTinaT

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Hiya my dad also has VD and has falls - you don't need a head scan ,you need the cardiologist to do an angiogram. Also to review his meds -is he on Bisoperol? If so they might need to consider taking him off it to help his blood pressure. My dads blood pressure used to drop like a stone when he stood up and then bang he was over. My dads falls are increasing because his arteries are closing up.This is what the angiogram should show.
I also suggest you keep a record of all his falls etc and take it with you to the appointment with the consultant. Also ask to speak to the consultant privately beforehand or afterwards explain about his language problems ,all the concerns you have. Consultant cardiologists will usually listen . Try and put as much as possible in writing -makes it harder to be ignored
Also try and notice when your dad has his falls - or get someone to make a note for you.
Hope this helps a little

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Hiya my dad also has VD and has falls - you don't need a head scan ,you need the cardiologist to do an angiogram. Also to review his meds -is he on Bisoperol? If so they might need to consider taking him off it to help his blood pressure. My dads blood pressure used to drop like a stone when he stood up and then bang he was over. My dads falls are increasing because his arteries are closing up.This is what the angiogram should show.
I also suggest you keep a record of all his falls etc and take it with you to the appointment with the consultant. Also ask to speak to the consultant privately beforehand or afterwards explain about his language problems ,all the concerns you have. Consultant cardiologists will usually listen . Try and put as much as possible in writing -makes it harder to be ignored
Also try and notice when your dad has his falls - or get someone to make a note for you.
Hope this helps a little

Wow you cannot begin to realise just how much this advise has helped me. My dad has an appointment with the cardiologist in February and I was wondering what the appointment was for, now hopefully you have just answered this for me.
I have been making a note of the falls, he has had 8 that I know of and I will also ask about his medication, the nurses at the home has told me that he is on medication to higher his blood pressure, I will talk to them again
Thank you so much again for this

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Hi rowtalk glad to have been of some use- also go with complete list of dads medications to consultant.
Does your dad use a stick? Our consultant advised waiting 10 seconds after my dad stood up before moving.get them to give you a printout of the angiogram result and ask for a copy of any letter the consultant sends to the gp . You can do so in front of your father by simply saying you want to make sure the gp has the full info and that sometimes the GP doesn't get the info( don't day anything more). The consultant will usually be happy to send you a copy at your address BUT you have to ask for it
I learnt the hard way- hugs

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi rowtalk, the title of your thread really struck a chord with me, as although my dad didn't have dementia until the very end of his life, he did keep falling, it used to frighten me so much, the fact he kept banging his poor head as well. He was also on medication for high blood pressure and sometimes when he stood it dropped like a stone and down he went. So yes, there's an urgent need to get that medication sorted and balanced, it can be done. The home should then be monitoring his bp daily. Make a nuisance of yourself until it is done. I do hope you get it sorted because I know how worrying and frightening those phone calls to say that they have fallen are xxx

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Hi rowtalk, the title of your thread really struck a chord with me, as although my dad didn't have dementia until the very end of his life, he did keep falling, it used to frighten me so much, the fact he kept banging his poor head as well. He was also on medication for high blood pressure and sometimes when he stood it dropped like a stone and down he went. So yes, there's an urgent need to get that medication sorted and balanced, it can be done. The home should then be monitoring his bp daily. Make a nuisance of yourself until it is done. I do hope you get it sorted because I know how worrying and frightening those phone calls to say that they have fallen are xxx

Millions of thank you's for your replies, I will do everything that you are both telling me.
Thank you so very much
I will let you know how I get on xxx