Dad just taken into hospital for tests

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
He's had a uti for three weeks and we simply can't manage it , hopefully he will be in for a couple of weeks to give us a break and get him better

Of course his Alzheimer's won't get better and I am half hoping the doctors suggest a care home nearby as living with him is driving me mad and draining the life out of my poor old mum who , of course , wants to live with him at home , but its so demanding on here

If he is to return home we are going to have to get more care in , no other option

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Oh I do hope you get things sorted. X
If not a care home see if you can look at day care centres as well as carer visits to the home. Nothing like a UTI to totally upset things.
Hope your new year takes a more positive tone very soon x

daveccfc

Dec 20, 2015
Cardiff
Hi Frankie,
Make the most of the break and pop along to the Llantwit Dementia Cafe on Tuesday for a cup of tea and a chat.
Cheers Dave

Namrah

Oct 17, 2015
Hi have you had a council care needs assessment? They have to do this for all even self funders and it might give you a few pointers as to what services to think about. They cannot recommend any one or two services but AS told me who they know had done well for others and where they had been involved in training staff for - always worth thinking about. I have also gone to local care homes unannounced saying I am thinking of the need for respite (both regular and emergency) all have been good. It could sold as a holiday hotel to dad?? Also if you do not think mum can cope you can insist care is in place before discharge - start talking to the staff and in particular social workers and doctors now - I used to work in NHS care so be tough and insistent. It is your right to have decent support.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
While he is hospital it might be worth having a detailed conversation with the hospital social worker, with your mum too, and see what options you have. It is a good time to do it - the may offer 'respite' or 'rehab' for a few weeks and assess him. There are a lot of options and if you get a decent social worker you may find the support you all desperately need.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Hospital Admissions

Going into hospital can be really disorientating for someone with dementia. Ask about the hospital dementia policy and if the ward staff have had any dementia training.

Also, try and visit him everyday and find out if they have flexible visiting times, so you and your Mum can assist him at meal times and make sure he is getting enough to eat and drink. Believe me, your input is really important, especially at weekends. If your Dad is given IV fluids, then don't be surprised if he tries to rip the cannulae out. My Mum has an amazing talent for doing this. :D

The link below will give you some guidance, it's from Prof. June Andrews website. Her book, Dementia The One-Stop Guide is well worth buying.

http://juneandrews.net/blog/post.php?s=2015-02-01-when-a-person-with-dementia-goes-into-hospital

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you all very much

Going into hospital can be really disorientating for someone with dementia. Ask about the hospital dementia policy and if the ward staff have had any dementia training.

Also, try and visit him everyday and find out if they have flexible visiting times, so you and your Mum can assist him at meal times and make sure he is getting enough to eat and drink. Believe me, your input is really important, especially at weekends. If your Dad is given IV fluids, then don't be surprised if he tries to rip the cannulae out. My Mum has an amazing talent for doing this. :D

The link below will give you some guidance, it's from Prof. June Andrews website. Her book, Dementia The One-Stop Guide is well worth buying.

http://juneandrews.net/blog/post.php?s=2015-02-01-when-a-person-with-dementia-goes-into-hospital

What would I do without you xx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Frankie, I'm so sorry to hear your dad is in hospital, it doesn't seem like a great start to the New Year, does it?

But I hope they can get the UTI under control and maybe you will all get a little breathing room. I know things have been overwhelming at home. Maybe you will now have the time and energy to see about options, whether that's a different care package at home or a care home or whatever.

I don't quite know how it works in the UK, but if you can, I would stand firm and not allow him to be discharged until you feel sure not only the infection is cleared, but also you know what the new care plan will be. Others here will know more about how that works.

Also, if the hospital has someone like a social worker or ombudsman or advocate who can help you get this worked out, shamelessly use their services to help you.

If and when you get a chance, and are so inclined, we hope you'll please keep us updated.

Wishing you all the best.

Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you so much

Frankie, I'm so sorry to hear your dad is in hospital, it doesn't seem like a great start to the New Year, does it?

But I hope they can get the UTI under control and maybe you will all get a little breathing room. I know things have been overwhelming at home. Maybe you will now have the time and energy to see about options, whether that's a different care package at home or a care home or whatever.

I don't quite know how it works in the UK, but if you can, I would stand firm and not allow him to be discharged until you feel sure not only the infection is cleared, but also you know what the new care plan will be. Others here will know more about how that works.

Also, if the hospital has someone like a social worker or ombudsman or advocate who can help you get this worked out, shamelessly use their services to help you.

If and when you get a chance, and are so inclined, we hope you'll please keep us updated.

Wishing you all the best.

Will do amy x