Dad just doesn't seem to be getting better!

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
My Dad has really gone down hill over the last few weeks since contracting pneumonia. I have been going in every other day and he just doesnt seem to be getting any better. In fact, I went in today with my sister and she was visibly shocked at his decline, because she hasnt seen him for about a week, cos shes lives further away. He is not eating very much, just a few mouthfuls and is just about to finish his third batch of antibiotics. I am so worried about him. He is so quiet as well (much more than normal) and he seems to be talking in a whisper, dont know why. Just really worried at the moment cos there just doesnt seem to be any changes for the better, that might signal he is at least beginning to get over this infection. I said to the home manager today that it would be good to get the doc in again on Monday to see what she thinks. What do you all think?
Snooky

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Snooky, these infections do take a long time to clear. John is on almost constant antibiotics, and is also not clear. He does have good days, but most of the time he is asleep.

All we can do is encourage them to eat, and above all, hope.

It might be a good idea to get the doctor back though, just to see how things are going.

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hi Hazel,
I am sorry to hear about John. I know he seems in a similar stage to my Dad. Its just that the antibiotics dont seem to be touching dad and you can't keep taking antibiotics can you? He just lies there and seems kind of depressed. When we were with him tonight in the main dining area, I looked around at the other residents and it was dad that seemed to be the most ill and frail. He still knows us and everything but he is so weak and frail and it doesnt seem to be lifting at all, that is the worry. What do you say and what can you do, it is so hard, I hope he gets over this soon.
Snooky x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Snooky

I think it is likely the antibiotics that are making him appear so frail. They do have a weakening effect. I would definitely get the doc's opinion.

Hope it works out well for you and Dad.

Love

Margaret