Dad is very low

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
My dear Dad, 92, seems very low these past few days. I looked after him for most of Christmas hols and on Monday our two carers were back with him from 10 am til 7 pm. By the time we came in at 7pm he was in bad form, very down had gone to bed, and said no one cared about him, and he didn't want to stay here anymore. He has been saying this regulalrly now since well before christmas. It nearly destroys me to see him like that. There was a time when he knew that the carers were helping us look after him at home, and he accepted them because he didn't weant to go into a home. Now he reacts more frequently to their presence and wants us to be there. I feel so guilty leaving him all day (though he can be cranky and down with me too) but I am family and he sometimes can appreciate that very much, and will say how much he likes it when I am there.

I am off work at the moment and am taking some time off Dad's care to recharge my batteries, tidy my house that I've not been in for so long. I will spend more time with him between now and next monday when I start back to work but know its not going to be easy for him then either.

Does anyone know if antidepressants would help in this situation? I thinK Dad is low and down for all sorts of reasons. His condition has deteriorated, he does not have as much joy in his life as he did before, and I regularly see him trying to say things and not being able to get words out. His mental torment must be horrific. He says he is a bad man, and useless. Nothing convinces him otherwise.
:(
Thanks for listening
Helen

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Helen

Does anyone know if antidepressants would help in this situation? I thinK Dad is low and down for all sorts of reasons. His condition has deteriorated, he does not have as much joy in his life as he did before, and I regularly see him trying to say things and not being able to get words out. His mental torment must be horrific. He says he is a bad man, and useless. Nothing convinces him otherwise.

Hello Helen
I cannot comment on anti-depressants.
We all get down and low, my hubby who is 84 gets low, I get low.
See your dads doctor, I am sure he will advise you.
Sending our love to you and your dad XX
This to in time will pass (who said that ?)
Barb & Ron XXX

seaside

Sep 5, 2008
Hello Helen,

As previously said, you would need to ask your Dad's doctor, but all I can offer is that Mum in law has been on anti depressants for about three weeks now. I think they may be improving things a little but she is still very low and the hospital are talking about putting up her dose.

Best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

Anti-depressants have really helped my husband. It may not seem so from my posts but I would hate him to be without them.

It is not always the first anti-depressant tried which is the best, that`s the problem, so your father would need regular monitoring.

I can do no harm for you to have a word with his GP.

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Dear all,
Thanks so much for your replies and advice. I will make an appointment for the doctor. Dad is very low again today. He is with our carer now but I will be with him from 4 pm so I will try and lift his spirits a bit. Doesn't always work.
I know we all get low but I think he might need something to lift him out of this.
Yes, This too in time will pass.
Thanks again everyone.
Helen

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Hi Helen, my Mum (she has AD) has been on antidepressants this last two years and her complete personality changed, she is lovely now where before she could be "thron" and quite twisted (and probably with good cause as her younger sister died very unexpectedly).
Best wishes to you and your Dad

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Helen,

Antidepressants helped give my mum a noticeable lift. It wasn't all smooth sailing that's for sure but I think without them that things would of being a lot less pleasant.

I hope that the situation improves.

Take Care, Taffy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy