dad is tearing, cutting and destroying stuff.

bluejag69

Oct 3, 2014
Hi,
I'm new on here. My mum has been diagnosed with alzheimers and dad has mixed vascular dementia and alzheimers. Both diagnosed at the same time, just over a year ago.

Dad has got worse over the last 3 wks and is now destroying everything. It started with him shredding his old paperwork as my brother has poa now. Since then he seems to be goung round the house tearing up paper and card, cutting wires ( he cut his personal alarm wires and the telephone too) , smashing up and breaking anythin he can get his hands in. Even stuff we would find difficult to break up. He's cut off plugs to radios and cut up into bits any wires uncludung his shaver charger. He just says everythings finished or no.

He won't wear his hearing aids anymore we've had several arguements about them where I had 1 in my hand to put in and he's shouted at me that he hasn't got any hearung aids. I know its worse for him cos he can't hear very well but I can't fight with him about it anymore. So calm as u like I said we'll have to see about getting you some new hearing aids and he just said " I don't want anymore" .

I know we need to break the cycle/habit he's in , I've ordered him a jigsaw. He used to just sit and watch telly but he can't even turn it on anymore. If its on he can't change the channel either and mum has never used the remotes so isn't goin to learn now.

His emotions are messed up too, he is either angry or loves me and I'm his angel. ( by the way never said he loved us before, ever).

Any advce please?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Bluejag

Both parents with Dementia-now that IS a terrible situation

I don't know the answer-my OH used to break up sticks and leave them in ever increasing piles all over the house. Books and paper were torn up and folded-but no wires cut thank goodness.:eek:

Could you try a rummage box for your Dad- any box will do (sounds as though it needs to be a sizeable one) Put in the box a couple of old books/magazines/ some wire and wire cutters. Maybe some plugs with some wire attached.

I'm sure others will be along soon to give you some advice

Take care and welcome to TP

Lyn T

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... some wire and wire cutters. Maybe some plugs with some wire attached..."

It might be tempting to use cutters on a live wire, also remove fuses from plugs with wire attached.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heidi j