Dad Is Now On Memantine.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I'm just letting you know that dad's Alzheimers is now progressing and he is being put on memantine so hopefully he will calm down. He has been hitting out but putting on host mode when he sees me. It's very sad but at least he is in a safe environment.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Izzy. Here's hoping it does although I notice that he puts on his best behaviour when he sees me so in one way it's good to see that he can still do host mode. However there are still times when my invisibles are taken in anyway he's well looked after and half of the other residents are on the same drug

MaNaAk

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife is on Memantine and it certainly reduced the disturbing hallucinations and confusion that she was having at night - although it didn't solve the issue.

A common side effect is sleepiness(this has been discussed on another thread) so that may also help calm your dad.

I wish both of you luck with that new med - I think it's great.:)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for this encouraging post Pete
and I am pleased for your wife. I phoned the home today and dad has taken to the medication very well. They have decided to give him half a tablet first which I'm very pleased with.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thankyou for this encouraging post Pete
and I am pleased for your wife. I phoned the home today and dad has taken to the medication very well. They have decided to give him half a tablet first which I'm very pleased with.

MaNaAk

There are initiation packs to ensure correct titration

Relevant PIL (patient information leaflet) enclosed with medication

3. How to take Ebixa
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.1702.pdf

Memantine with Sodium Valproate calmed my wife down in all respects.

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou very Nitram! After last Wednesday when the nurse discovered felodopine had found it's way back on to dad's medication list we'll be extra careful! I'll also be monitoring dad's behaviour so that I can make a decision about his cataracts.

MaNaAk

vicx

Sep 11, 2017
I am really pleased i found this post. My mum was put on memantine last year. She was on aricept but this made her dizzy. After the initial titration of the drug it became apparent this also made her dizzy so the dose was dropped to 10mg. Unfortunately she still complained so we dropped to 5mg and didn't think there would be any therapeutic benefit. Due to issues with dosage and what the carers could give, she has been off them for 2 weeks. Wow we have noticed a huge difference in her behaviour, she's like a insolent child. This has made an already stressful situation much worse. We are hoping the review with memory clinic will listen to our experience,and hopefully continue with 5mg. We have been told if these stop there is nothing else. I just want her to be manageable. Thank you. I am so grateful to you all for just understanding!!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @vicx, I hope that med review goes well.

About 2 months after Memantine was added to my wife's meds she began to exhibit a physical symptom that was put down to being a side effect of Memantine. Very quickly her dementia worsened. It turned out that the problem wasn't a side effect and Memantine was reintroduced and, once again, brought a reduction of symptoms.

Given what you have said I would push hard for the reintroduction of the lower dose medication to, at least, see if it helps again.