Dad is now dying and can’t access CHC

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
I am losing the will to live. Dad has late stage VD. 2 weeks ago he was in a care home, mobile, eating drinking and going to the toilet. Yes, he slept 20 hours a day but he was safe.
He is now in hospital after suffering a fall 10 days ago. He is bed bound hasn’t put a foot on the floor since admission. Double incontinent, having to have his bladder emptied every day. Only had a couple of spoonfuls of food since admission and is struggling to swallow food. He was diagnosed with pneumonia. We have been told he has between a month and 6 months to live by the consultant. We have given notice to his previous care home as hospital has told us he needs nursing care. Now the battle begins, he was self funding. We are been given conflicting information every day from the hospital. Pathway 3 assessment bed but not referred, CHC checklist done but actually not by discharge team. Doc states not eligible for fast track as he will live longer than a month. At the moment dad is homeless with nowhere to go if discharged. Surely this can’t be right xx
.hi I have just joined the group, sorry to hear about your dad, your dad does meet chc fast track criteria, the nurses on the ward should do it,all CHC once granted is reviewed after 3 months.if granted CHC will give you the list of chc beds in nursing homes which are available.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Leeds it is distressing reading what is happening & I'm so sorry you don't seem to be getting the support from the staff. It baffles me why the staff are being like they are with you. It is difficult enough without that.
Two months ago we went through similar situation where the hospital were trying to discharge mum back to her care home in special measures who had reassessed her & said they couldn't cope due to their current difficulties & would need CQC agreement anyway. We were badgered by senior nursing staff most days to get mum moved back but the doctor agreed with us that she would be best in nursing care. It seems nurses & doctors both have a different agenda.
Mum was LA funded which further delayed things until CHC funding was considered. At the time we were told about 6/8weeks left for mum. CHC was delayed & it was only dealt with once Marie Curie nurse assessed her for fast track. Within a week mum 'rapidly declined' & died in hospital too close to the end to be moved.
Sadly I feel it's all about money & passing the buck for other authorities to pay.
I hope they are giving your dad medication to keep him comfortable. You should not be treated like this & i hope things improve very soon for you x

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
.hi I have just joined the group, sorry to hear about your dad, your dad does meet chc fast track criteria, the nurses on the ward should do it,all CHC once granted is reviewed after 3 months.if granted CHC will give you the list of chc beds in nursing homes which are available.

Welcome to DTP @Maytree

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I have told them and quoted the framework but it appears each trust works in different ways. The main issue is the “rapidly deteriorating” and apparently should not be assessed in hospital x

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
Hi @Leeds it is distressing reading what is happening & I'm so sorry you don't seem to be getting the support from the staff. It baffles me why the staff are being like they are with you. It is difficult enough without that.
Two months ago we went through similar situation where the hospital were trying to discharge mum back to her care home in special measures who had reassessed her & said they couldn't cope due to their current difficulties & would need CQC agreement anyway. We were badgered by senior nursing staff most days to get mum moved back but the doctor agreed with us that she would be best in nursing care. It seems nurses & doctors both have a different agenda.
Mum was LA funded which further delayed things until CHC funding was considered. At the time we were told about 6/8weeks left for mum. CHC was delayed & it was only dealt with once Marie Curie nurse assessed her for fast track. Within a week mum 'rapidly declined' & died in hospital too close to the end to be moved.
Sadly I feel it's all about money & passing the buck for other authorities to pay.
I hope they are giving your dad medication to keep him comfortable. You should not be treated like this & i hope things improve very soon for you x
Thank you for your support, they have already said dad can have nursing care top up. Dad is self funding so we need time to find somewhere he can afford. At the moment £1200 a week is the best we have found. His house has been rented out this year to help with fees, so can’t sell at the moment. X

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
I have told them and quoted the framework but it appears each trust works in different ways. The main issue is the “rapidly deteriorating” and apparently should not be assessed in hospital x
The rapidly deteriorating condition of your dad is exactly what fast track is for,for either home with a package of care, or nursing home. Do you know we're your dad wishes to be cared for,

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
Thank you for your support, they have already said dad can have nursing care top up. Dad is self funding so we need time to find somewhere he can afford. At the moment £1200 a week is the best we have found. His house has been rented out this year to help with fees, so can’t sell at the moment. X
The nursing care top up I think is £165 a week my dad gets that it comes off the weekly fee he pays so it is a little help,does dad get attendance allowance

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
The nursing care top up I think is £165 a week my dad gets that it comes off the weekly fee he pays so it is a little help,does dad get attendance allowance
The rapidly deteriorating condition of your dad is exactly what fast track is for,for either home with a package of care, or nursing home. Do you know we're your dad wishes to be cared for,
Dad has been in a care home for the last 4 years but he is unable to return as they can’t meet his needs. To be honest, dad is oblivious to his surroundings. They have told us fast track is not an option for him. Basically, he had no where to go at the moment x

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
You really have my sympathy. I found the stress of managing my emotions about the condition mum was in vs the anger over the cold hard financial issues and hostility impossible. You should feel supported and cared for. I felt like it was ’them and us’ purely because of the money involved

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
You really have my sympathy. I found the stress of managing my emotions about the condition mum was in vs the anger over the cold hard financial issues and hostility impossible. You should feel supported and cared for. I felt like it was ’them and us’ purely because of the money involved
So very true, I am finding it very difficult coming to terms with my emotions. I think the battling is keeping me going at the moment. I feel in the middle of a whirlwind. X

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
i know that feeling too,my dad had Chc but was reviewed in June and it was withdrawn,as he did not meet criteria,so he is now self funding, from savings, he does meet criteria now, my only worry would be we could get funding but they could turn round and say they can't pay for the current bed he is in because it is too expensive and we could end up having to go to a cheaper home, which would be to disruptive to him

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
Dad has been in a care home for the last 4 years but he is unable to return as they can’t meet his needs. To be honest, dad is oblivious to his surroundings. They have told us fast track is not an option for him. Basically, he had no where to go at the moment x
But if they did the checklist properly your dad would get lots of A and B which would then lead to fast tracking, just keep on at them,

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
...my only worry would be we could get funding but they could turn round and say they can't pay for the current bed he is in because it is too expensive and we could end up having to go to a cheaper home, which would be to disruptive to him

Would you be allowed to top up?

Maytree

Dec 28, 2019
Would you be allowed to top up?
Were we are they don't allow top up,I have already asked, the system stinks,he had to pay for his care at home before going into the home,but he became ill and the McMillan nurse got us the fast track, but because he improved in the review it was taken away, but now he is almost completely bed bound,needing hoisting, doubly incontinent, and deteriorating ,but in the new year I will get it looked at again

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I can scarcely believe what I am reading & it makes me so angry that the hospital are not doing more for your dad! Sadly as people say I believe it is due to money & budgets. He should definitely be fast tracked. Have you seen any drs recently? X

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Following our complaint to Pals they have assessed him for a pathway 3 bed. Everything has been on hold over Christmas. No one is speaking to us when we visit. X

We had a similar problem when we complained to PALS - the staff turned against the family and we were even told by the consultant that a referral to cardiology had been 'delayed' because we had complained to PALS. When Mum was finally discharged the discharge letter stated that the referral had been made but we subsequently found out that it hadn't! Mum had a prolonged stay in hospital and to quote the social worker, this was because 'discussions' were on going with regards to who was going to pay for Mum's care on discharge. The discharge team actually told me that the purpose of the CHC assessment was funding, so care needs obviously weren't deemed important. The CHC National Framework should be followed by every NHS Trust but from personal experience some seem to 'interpret' this differently.

Mum was placed on the 'discharge to assess' pathway - aimed at speeding up discharge - which meant that the NHS paid for a bed in a care home for the first 28 days after discharge pending a full CHC DST assessment (the check list was completed in the hospital). As they have now assessed your Dad as needing a pathway 3 bed the discharge team/CCG should be taking steps to find a suitable placement. As galling as it is that they deem him not to be eligible for fast-track the priority should be to get your Dad out of the hospital as soon as possible as it is not a good environment for those with dementia - he can then get assessed in the nursing home. Trying to fight the decision not to fast track him now will take a lot of time and energy. We complained to both the CCG and the hospital trust about their failure to follow the CHC National Framework and the matter has been continually delayed by them, with numerous excuses or simply ignoring the complaint, so it has been an endless battle. We found that submitting complaints to PALS whilst Mum was in hospital just made things worse for her. The family were even blamed for Mum not being discharged earlier because we had asked for the CHC checklist to be completed properly :(

If it's any consolation, the hospital treated Mum as though she was 'end of life' but she has thrived since discharge and is doing really well, almost 2 years after the hospital had 'written her off'. Without going into specifics it was the lack of care that had made her deteriorate in the hospital - the hospital has now conceded that their care fell well below the levels expected. Have you managed to speak to a hospital social worker as suggested earlier in the thread? If you're lucky you may find someone helpful but as a self-funder possibly not. I wish you luck and hopefully things will get moving now that Christmas is over. We did find that the dementia team at the hospital were very supportive (although their advice was ignored by the medical team) so maybe try to speak to them if the hospital has one as battling the system on your own is a lonely position to be in. It seems that there are some hospitals that do things properly and others that don't and if you are dealing with one that doesn't it takes it toll on family/carers so you need to chose which battles to fight.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
But if they did the checklist properly your dad would get lots of A and B which would then lead to fast tracking, just keep on at them,
Thank you, I will xthank you so much fo
We had a similar problem when we complained to PALS - the staff turned against the family and we were even told by the consultant that a referral to cardiology had been 'delayed' because we had complained to PALS. When Mum was finally discharged the discharge letter stated that the referral had been made but we subsequently found out that it hadn't! Mum had a prolonged stay in hospital and to quote the social worker, this was because 'discussions' were on going with regards to who was going to pay for Mum's care on discharge. The discharge team actually told me that the purpose of the CHC assessment was funding, so care needs obviously weren't deemed important. The CHC National Framework should be followed by every NHS Trust but from personal experience some seem to 'interpret' this differently.

Mum was placed on the 'discharge to assess' pathway - aimed at speeding up discharge - which meant that the NHS paid for a bed in a care home for the first 28 days after discharge pending a full CHC DST assessment (the check list was completed in the hospital). As they have now assessed your Dad as needing a pathway 3 bed the discharge team/CCG should be taking steps to find a suitable placement. As galling as it is that they deem him not to be eligible for fast-track the priority should be to get your Dad out of the hospital as soon as possible as it is not a good environment for those with dementia - he can then get assessed in the nursing home. Trying to fight the decision not to fast track him now will take a lot of time and energy. We complained to both the CCG and the hospital trust about their failure to follow the CHC National Framework and the matter has been continually delayed by them, with numerous excuses or simply ignoring the complaint, so it has been an endless battle. We found that submitting complaints to PALS whilst Mum was in hospital just made things worse for her. The family were even blamed for Mum not being discharged earlier because we had asked for the CHC checklist to be completed properly :(

If it's any consolation, the hospital treated Mum as though she was 'end of life' but she has thrived since discharge and is doing really well, almost 2 years after the hospital had 'written her off'. Without going into specifics it was the lack of care that had made her deteriorate in the hospital - the hospital has now conceded that their care fell well below the levels expected. Have you managed to speak to a hospital social worker as suggested earlier in the thread? If you're lucky you may find someone helpful but as a self-funder possibly not. I wish you luck and hopefully things will get moving now that Christmas is over. We did find that the dementia team at the hospital were very supportive (although their advice was ignored by the medical team) so maybe try to speak to them if the hospital has one as battling the system on your own is a lonely position to be in. It seems that there are some hospitals that do things properly and others that don't and if you are dealing with one that doesn't it takes it toll on family/carers so you need to chose which battles to fight.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. It seems you were in exactly the same place as us. We have not seen or heard from any social workers. Like you Since complaining to PALs and CCG, no one seems to want to talk to us. It is a constant battle to get the care our loved ones deserve. X

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you, I will xthank you so much fo

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. It seems you were in exactly the same place as us. We have not seen or heard from any social workers. Like you Since complaining to PALs and CCG, no one seems to want to talk to us. It is a constant battle to get the care our loved ones deserve. X

I did get things moving since I spoke to PALS. At least on that ward, after I had complained, I had a meeting with the lead clinician dr & the ward manager. A friend then explained that the wards didn’t like getting PALS involved as it was effectively a bad mark against them so they would try & resolve issues. I do believe my mum lost capacity not only due to the big seizure she had but also due to the hospital environment she was in especially in the large hospital. Things were better in Gamston although I still can’t believe they thought they could rehabilitate her bladder! Very strange. Sending you hugs & try to keep strong. X

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I did get things moving since I spoke to PALS. At least on that ward, after I had complained, I had a meeting with the lead clinician dr & the ward manager. A friend then explained that the wards didn’t like getting PALS involved as it was effectively a bad mark against them so they would try & resolve issues. I do believe my mum lost capacity not only due to the big seizure she had but also due to the hospital environment she was in especially in the large hospital. Things were better in Gamston although I still can’t believe they thought they could rehabilitate her bladder! Very strange. Sending you hugs & try to keep strong. X
Thank you for your support, I’m hoping that things start to happen soon and he is moved for assessments xx