Dad in hospital with Dementia

Lynnb81

Jul 2, 2019
My dad as been in hospital week now with gallbladder infection and pancreatitis. It's been very worrying and the doctors have been telling us to prepare for the worst. But he is now sitting in a chair and eating all his food. My just wondering if anyone as been in similar situation and did they recover? He was very much still mid stage when he went in but I'm worried if he does recover he will need more care. He is in a nursing home at the minute.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Lynnb81 and welcome to DTP.

Infections cause absolute havoc in people with dementia, and being in hospital is confusing and disorientating.
Im glad that your dad is beginning to recover - it will probably take a while as he has been so ill, although he might not recover right up to the level he was before.
Are you concerned that his nursing home might not take him back?

Lynnb81

Jul 2, 2019
When he went into hospital the nurses said he had bed sores which are grade 1. So this as really made me wonder if he is looked after proper anyway. I just wondering how much he will get back as he was capable of alot of things. Eating getting dressed, toilet we took him out all the time etc. And I know it probably hard to tell until he is better. I know it's probably gonna effect him but I just not ready for him to bed bound just yet.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
There are a few of us who have had relatives who went into hospital with serious problems and seemed to deteriorate, yet once they were back at home (or the care home) they improved considerably. My mother was in Hospital for 10 days last June after falling and breaking her hip and having a hip replacement, and she recovered to 'her normal' within 3 or 4 weeks back at the care home. They take good care of there and did a great job of rehab.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa