Dad in hospital, not sure what's going to happen

George19

Jul 25, 2022
Hi there am new to this my dad is in hospital with suspected dementia he is very confused does not no who I am and I am his son I live with him he is always taking about me but when he sees me he's on edge all the time I can't go to hospital because it upset him he is ok medical why's. but social services .mental health team are going to be dealing with him next I don't have a clue what's going to happen it's a very complicated situation it is am so scared

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @George19
A warm welcome to DTP

I'm sorry to hear your dad and you are having such a difficult time ... it's no wonder you are scared about what is happening

It's good that Social Services and the Mental Health Team are involved. They will assess how your dad is, also what care he will need to support him and whether that can be best provided in his home or in residential care, which might be a temporary placement to monitor him further

Sadly it's not unusual for someone to react negatively with the person closest to them, so for your dad to be settled it may be best to not visit, which is tough on you

Keep posting with anything that's on your mind ... folk here understand and will share their experience and offer suggestions to help you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @George19
Your dad might have something like delirium which is causing him to be super confused.
It good that his problems are being looked at. Its always a worry when you dont know what is happening, but eventually it will become clear.

George19

Jul 25, 2022
Hi @George19
Your dad might have something like delirium which is causing him to be super confused.
It good that his problems are being looked at. Its always a worry when you dont know what is happening, but eventually it will become clear.
Thank you

George19

Jul 25, 2022
Hi @George19
Thank you,

George19

Jul 25, 2022
Hi there it's me again my dad has had scan's and everything medical he's ok the mental health team have been to hospital and there can't find out what's up with him so they are saying it could be dementia there keep telling me he might have delirium and then it could be dementia there are doing nothing for him in hospital no medicine just stuck I Hospital it's stressing him out I just want answers it's getting me down I feel so depressed and I have mental health problems to my anxiety is really high just so scared

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
hang on in there, there maybe no clear cut answer.
if its delerium, hopefully itshould lessen, dementia not so.

Has he had ahtibiotics while he;s been there?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If he is medically fit for discharge, see if you can get him discharged to a Discharge to Access bed. This is a bed, usually in a care home, for a limited time (up to 6 weeks) where he can be assessed to see whether he is improving and to see what his care needs are.

Speak to the hospital Social Worker, who would be arranging this.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
If your Dad was not previously 'known' to the health service for cognitive problems then the hospital might find it hard to decide whether he has dementia, which is a permanent condition, or delirium, which is normally temporary although it can take some time for the symptoms to go away.

George19

Jul 25, 2022
hang on in there, there maybe no clear cut answer.
if its delerium, hopefully itshould lessen, dementia not so.

Has he had ahtibiotics while he;s been there?
No he's had nothing like that just took his bloods and brain scans and water sample and every thing is good

George19

Jul 25, 2022
If he is medically fit for discharge, see if you can get him discharged to a Discharge to Access bed. This is a bed, usually in a care home, for a limited time (up to 6 weeks) where he can be assessed to see whether he is improving and to see what his care needs are.

Speak to the hospital Social Worker, who would be arranging this.
Thank you for that I have mentioned about restbite

George19

Jul 25, 2022
If your Dad was not previously 'known' to the health service for cognitive problems then the hospital might find it hard to decide whether he has dementia, which is a permanent condition, or delirium, which is normally temporary although it can take some time for the symptoms to go away.
He has not been in hospital for anything to do with mental health before I have been reading lots about delirium and it sounds that

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
He has not been in hospital for anything to do with mental health before I have been reading lots about delirium and it sounds that
Delirium is usually associated with infection, and is often the first a carer knows that their loved on has an infection.

Thats why i asked if he;'s had anti biotics

George19

Jul 25, 2022
Delirium is usually associated with infection, and is often the first a carer knows that their loved on has an infection.

Thats why i asked if he;'s had anti biotics
Yeah like I say there could find anything medical his brain scans are all ok no infection anyway the mental health team have only been a couple of times and they said we don't know what is going on but we think it's dementia that's all there can say because they don't no why are there so Kwik to say dementia when there have no proof it just sounds very strange all this