Dad in hospital again

scorpion46

Mar 11, 2014
southend
Dad was diagnosed with dementia over six years ago, sadly we lost mum three years ago .they had been married 55 years.
This year he has been in hospital a few times for falls .three months ago I took the step of placing him in a care home,as I work full time and he was alone for hours, I thought it was for the best,both for his well being and safety and for my peace of mind,all was going well,home is clean ,staff all seem caring .
I did notice he seemed to be losing weight, but put down to his age and condition, hen I had a call from care homes doctors saying it looks like he may prostrate cancer.they need to do more test to be sure.
Then this weds he collapsed at the home and taken to hospital,on visiting him today,it became clear how much weight he has lost,his basically a skeleton,the Nurse said he can't swallow and they need to feed him through a drip.
He is not the person I have know for 48 years, he does not talk anymore,very unsteady on his feet.
I just feel so helpless,seeing him laying there,not knowing if he knows who I am or where he is.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Dad was diagnosed with dementia over six years ago, sadly we lost mum three years ago .they had been married 55 years.
This year he has been in hospital a few times for falls .three months ago I took the step of placing him in a care home,as I work full time and he was alone for hours, I thought it was for the best,both for his well being and safety and for my peace of mind,all was going well,home is clean ,staff all seem caring .
I did notice he seemed to be losing weight, but put down to his age and condition, hen I had a call from care homes doctors saying it looks like he may prostrate cancer.they need to do more test to be sure.
Then this weds he collapsed at the home and taken to hospital,on visiting him today,it became clear how much weight he has lost,his basically a skeleton,the Nurse said he can't swallow and they need to feed him through a drip.
He is not the person I have know for 48 years, he does not talk anymore,very unsteady on his feet.
I just feel so helpless,seeing him laying there,not knowing if he knows who I am or where he is.

Hi Scorpion just wanted to send you a big hug lots of supportive people on this forum will know how you feel it's horrible feeling helpless but it's good to share on here wishing you strength xxxxx