Dad in A&E-sepsis-very low blood pressure. Not looking good.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear all,

Hope you’re OK these days.

Just need to vent. Dad a week ago had a UTI. On antibiotics for a week seemed Ok. Today didn’t pass urine via catheter Overnight. High temp, very low blood pressure, confused. He’s 90 years. The care home called 999. He’s now in hospital, suspected sepsis. Really poorly. He’s still in A&E, will be moved to the Acute Medical Unit if he survives the night. The next 24-48hrs the teller. On IV antibiotics and fluids. The Dr who I spoke to tonight said it could go either way. There’s no one there to be with him. I’m 2hr flight away and probably can’t get to see him before Friday. My head is spinning. Want him to hang on till I get there. We’re coming home permanently end of this month.

Not that I’m religious, but dear god….

Thanks for listening.

X

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry to hear this @garfield3 It`s a terrible situation especially when you are so far away.

I only hope your dad is kept painfree and as comfortable as possible.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Having a very fitful sleep, as you do at times like these. Don’t want to temp fate, but no phone call from the hospital so far. ??

Sheelagh7

Feb 25, 2022
@garfield3 so sorry to hear your news. IV antibiotics can work miracles, my mum lasted a year after she was rushed to hospital not expecting to last the night, it was the IV antibiotics that pulled her through. I really hope you get to see him on Friday, we're all thinking of you ...

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
@garfield3 so sorry to hear your news. IV antibiotics can work miracles, my mum lasted a year after she was rushed to hospital not expecting to last the night, it was the IV antibiotics that pulled her through. I really hope you get to see him on Friday, we're all thinking of you ...
That sounds hopeful. Mulch needed. Thank you.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Managed to speak to the hospital. Dad had a settled night. He’s still on IV antibiotics and fluid. He’s not out the woods, but….. ??Keeping him in for a few days, no indication of him being dischared, which is good. His blood pressure has gone up a bit. He’s sleeping a lot and not very responsive. He’s got urosepsis. They’re taking cultures daily.

Hanging back on flying home for a day or two. See how it all develops.

Thanks for all your kind words.

Suex

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Agree about the antibiotics. My brother nearly died of sepsis on Christmas Day 2019. When I went to see him on Boxing Day he was cracking jokes. I know your dad is a lot older than my brother was but it sounds like they have things under control at least for a while.
Thinking of you @garfield3 .

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad was another one on IV antibiotics, he had pneumonia, delirium and a heart attack that evening. They called us in to say goodbye but he wasn't going anywhere. He came home and lasted another year.

Sorry to hear this @garfield3 I hope that it goes well for your dad.