Dad has Dimentia Alzheimer's

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
These past weeks dads legs lock with eachother in bed and always bent he can't seem to control them or lay them down anymore he is very stiff and painful when trying but it's almost like they are on a spring and they just fall back into right ankle locking under the other and when seated he has difficulty placing his feet on the ground and the left foot keeps rising .in February he was still geting about by himself and had none of these worries but since march the sudden change of not being able to and loosing co-ordination on how to turn sideways to toilet or to sit but now these past 3 weeks he can't walk at all and just about lifts himself up after so many attempts with help .so so worried. He's on memantine and we started then stopped then started again cos just wasn't sure if it was the drug causing this sudden change now we just don't know as when off them couldn't see any difference with walking but now this feet and legs locking is something else and he just never is comfortable now.does anyone else have this happening and when I told the memory doctor he said doubt the drug has caused this. Please advice. But I know also it is his Dimentia now and this is what's to come but I dread to face the truth and just hope there is improvement still and answer

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Help!

That symptom isn't listed as a side effect of Memantine and the fact that stopping the med didn't change things would indicate that the memory doctor may be correct in the advice given.

Mobility issues can become severe as part of the progression of dementia so if it were me I would seek help from the GP as it may be possible that something can be done to assist you through that service. I wouldn't try to soldier on alone with that.

I wish you all the best with that as it must be distressing.

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
It is Very distressing .I just never have thought looking at my dad in January at our last appointment and I remember thinking he still has alot of strength in his legs and we always said he continuously is up and out of chair and I just couldn't see any of what's happening now for a long time and aswell he loved his food always at his buiscuits then February his legs ist gave way and has declined since and then his eating changed And have to remind him where his tin is ,which is right beside him .it's so sad .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds like it could be contractures, which happen in advanced dementia. As @karaokePete says - contact your GP. The community physiotherapist is the one to deal with contractures, but I dont know what difference the pandemic would make to appointments

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
Called my doctor she doesn't want to give any medication until I speak with the memory clinic doctor as it could interact with memantine she mentioned physio but due to what's is going on nothing can happen as yet Does anyone know if the side effects from the drug could be causing this ..as it hasn't really helped him otherwise maybe only makes him more calmer generally daytime but due to his legs now he's unsettled also the doctor appeared to be unsure what it could be and said it normally takes months for this to happen I explained he stopped walking in march and things have changed suddenly even in past couple of weeks also aswell in late Dimentia .so will be calling the memory clinic. If he can't have anything then this is just awful for him .

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
Does anyone on here take medication for contractures with their memory tablet ?