Dad has been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies......good days and bad

jg084

May 21, 2020
My dad, 69, has just been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies and started on meds to hopefully get on top of some of the hallucinations but there have been some pretty bad episodes in the last couple of weeks. Feeling very guilty I can't support him, and particularly my mum, more just now with distancing etc. She is getting the brunt of the mistrust and paranoia that the hallucinations cause and I really don't want her to become ill aswell. Any advice from people who have been in a similar situation on how hallucinations and temper are best dealt with???

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @jg084

I would suggest a chat with the GP as the medics can often be a good help.

It would also be useful to rule out an infection such as a UTI as that can cause such issues.

The new meds may also be having side effects and the GP will think about that. My wife’s meds have had to be tweaked a few times.

Judes1

May 21, 2020
My dad, 69, has just been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies and started on meds to hopefully get on top of some of the hallucinations but there have been some pretty bad episodes in the last couple of weeks. Feeling very guilty I can't support him, and particularly my mum, more just now with distancing etc. She is getting the brunt of the mistrust and paranoia that the hallucinations cause and I really don't want her to become ill aswell. Any advice from people who have been in a similar situation on how hallucinations and temper are best dealt with???
My husband , 76, has Lewy body and like your dad has hallucinations and gets violent. I try to talk to him about his “Lewy bodies” and ask if they are friendly and he can then ask them to go away. The paranoia about stolen money.. watches .. etc is harder or deal with . Reasoning does not work. Leaving the situation ... ie walking out gives him time to think. Give your mum a hug...virtual! We carers really need one ! Judy