Dad had diagnosis today

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Louhelp1234

Just to let you know

The lovely girl from the memory clinic called today to give dad his diagnosis.

She was very kind and asked if he still wanted to know, he said he did. She was very respectful, always calling him Mr xxxxx and explained everything to us. Dad was ok about it and just said 'that explains why I am forgetful then' and he also supposed that most people of his age get alzheimers.

So it is confirmed it is alzheimers and he has to have some blood tests next week which I shall take him for and then we wait for a consultant appointment at our hospital (probably by January) he has to have an ECG on the morning of his appointment. She also said that he was an ideal candidate for treatment and the consultant will put him on tablets that may slow it down. Would be nice.

Anyway dad said as soon as he gets his tablets we can book a cruise now that's all sorted out and he also told me that he is not going to tell anyone that he has a touch of alzheimers (his very words) Bless him.

We will see where it goes from here, he also told the nurse that she should not worry about him because he is very well looked after by me. Nurse smiled at me.

All in all it was a good meeting and I think it has all happened quiet quickly since our first appoint with GP in August.

Just hope the tablets help even a little bit.

Louhelp1234

Jan 10, 2016
@Louhelp1234

Just to let you know

The lovely girl from the memory clinic called today to give dad his diagnosis.

She was very kind and asked if he still wanted to know, he said he did. She was very respectful, always calling him Mr xxxxx and explained everything to us. Dad was ok about it and just said 'that explains why I am forgetful then' and he also supposed that most people of his age get alzheimers.

So it is confirmed it is alzheimers and he has to have some blood tests next week which I shall take him for and then we wait for a consultant appointment at our hospital (probably by January) he has to have an ECG on the morning of his appointment. She also said that he was an ideal candidate for treatment and the consultant will put him on tablets that may slow it down. Would be nice.

Anyway dad said as soon as he gets his tablets we can book a cruise now that's all sorted out and he also told me that he is not going to tell anyone that he has a touch of alzheimers (his very words) Bless him.

We will see where it goes from here, he also told the nurse that she should not worry about him because he is very well looked after by me. Nurse smiled at me.

All in all it was a good meeting and I think it has all happened quiet quickly since our first appoint with GP in August.

Just hope the tablets help even a little bit.
Aww Duggies girl I'm so terribly sorry, even though you were expecting the diagnosis once its confirmed it must seem so real... My heart goes out to you sending you lots of love an hugs.

Wow your dad took it really well I'm sure his positive outlook will help slow down this dreadful disease. Booking a cruise and still looking forward to the future. That's amazing. I've no doubt in my mind a lot of that is due to the amazing love and support you give him. I've heard some really positive feedback from the tablets so fingers crossed.

My mums had bit of a breakdown bless her. Team leader of the care team rang me the day after the disastrous consultant appointment to say that the carer had found her in her street sobbing uncontrollably saying everyone thinks she has dementia and she had no one to turn to. Luckily the carer calmed her down. But she's still very fragile. The CPN visited her yesterday and spoke to me. She says send mum for ecg,she used to have irregular heart beat, so it's possible that she won't be able to have the meds. If that rules out the meds probably don't peruse the PET scan or formal diagnosis as it's one form of a Dementia and the only difference would be the meds. She also said if when mum does get official diagnosis it may be in her best interest for her not to be told, just us know. Due to her very fragile state of mind. So will see what happens when ecg happens and take one day at a time.

I'm so sorry you got the news confirming your worst nightmare. I'm always just a message away if you ever need to rant or chat. Feel free to message me anytime. Much love and big hugs. Stay strong xxx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
After my wife’s diagnosis of Alzheimer’s earlier this year we both felt a bit bereft but that is easing with time. The first medication given was Donepezil which offered a slight benefit and then several weeks ago Memantine was added because of some of the symptoms being suffered, this also helped a little. The Meds seem to help a little with what I call daily functioning rather than the memory loss and cognitive ability although the previous steady decline in those areas seem to have been arrested.
Good luck to you both.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Glad your Dad took it well. My Mum also took it well a year ago when she was diagnosed. She knew she had problems and actually took herself off to the GP a year before that but he said she was OK.

I think the sooner they get on medication the better. Mums decline has not been as rapid as I thought and I'm sure it's Helped. She still knows us all, still loves a chat, we still have laughs. She just forgets strands of the family, dates and so on. She can remember stuff vividly from her childhood - names of neighbours and their children but she can't remember more recent stuff.

Take care both of you. Xx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
After my wife’s diagnosis of Alzheimer’s earlier this year we both felt a bit bereft but that is easing with time. The first medication given was Donepezil which offered a slight benefit and then several weeks ago Memantine was added because of some of the symptoms being suffered, this also helped a little. The Meds seem to help a little with what I call daily functioning rather than the memory loss and cognitive ability although the previous steady decline in those areas seem to have been arrested.
Good luck to you both.

Thanks for that. His daily functioning is pretty good but the short term memory is not. He actually received his appointment today for January so hopefully he will be straight on the tablets then.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Glad your Dad took it well. My Mum also took it well a year ago when she was diagnosed. She knew she had problems and actually took herself off to the GP a year before that but he said she was OK.

I think the sooner they get on medication the better. Mums decline has not been as rapid as I thought and I'm sure it's Helped. She still knows us all, still loves a chat, we still have laughs. She just forgets strands of the family, dates and so on. She can remember stuff vividly from her childhood - names of neighbours and their children but she can't remember more recent stuff.

Take care both of you. Xx

Your mum sounds a bit like my dad although I had to convince him to go to the doctors first. He is quiet funny and now accepts that he has a touch of alzhiemers.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Aww Duggies girl I'm so terribly sorry, even though you were expecting the diagnosis once its confirmed it must seem so real... My heart goes out to you sending you lots of love an hugs.

Wow your dad took it really well I'm sure his positive outlook will help slow down this dreadful disease. Booking a cruise and still looking forward to the future. That's amazing. I've no doubt in my mind a lot of that is due to the amazing love and support you give him. I've heard some really positive feedback from the tablets so fingers crossed.

My mums had bit of a breakdown bless her. Team leader of the care team rang me the day after the disastrous consultant appointment to say that the carer had found her in her street sobbing uncontrollably saying everyone thinks she has dementia and she had no one to turn to. Luckily the carer calmed her down. But she's still very fragile. The CPN visited her yesterday and spoke to me. She says send mum for ecg,she used to have irregular heart beat, so it's possible that she won't be able to have the meds. If that rules out the meds probably don't peruse the PET scan or formal diagnosis as it's one form of a Dementia and the only difference would be the meds. She also said if when mum does get official diagnosis it may be in her best interest for her not to be told, just us know. Due to her very fragile state of mind. So will see what happens when ecg happens and take one day at a time.

I'm so sorry you got the news confirming your worst nightmare. I'm always just a message away if you ever need to rant or chat. Feel free to message me anytime. Much love and big hugs. Stay strong xxx

@Louhelp1234

Sorry your mums diagnosis did not go as well as ours, I think it helped that dad is so even tempered although I admit I did want to cry. I suppose we all deal with things differently as do our PWD On we go us carers thinking of those who probably forget all about us when we are not there. Such is life. Thinking of you and hope all goes well.

Louhelp1234

Jan 10, 2016
@Louhelp1234

Sorry your mums diagnosis did not go as well as ours, I think it helped that dad is so even tempered although I admit I did want to cry. I suppose we all deal with things differently as do our PWD On we go us carers thinking of those who probably forget all about us when we are not there. Such is life. Thinking of you and hope all goes well.
Thanks duggies girl big hugs one day at s time I suppose lots of love take care xxx