Dad got Sectioned over Christmas :(

dippydora

Apr 2, 2013
Lalaland
Just to let you all know, Dad was put into hospital and Sectioned 72 hours, 2 weeks before Christmas with a further Section 2 right after. He had a Crisis Point and had to be placed on a Section for his and others safety. He has been in hospital for the duration of the 28day Section under the MHA. He is now awaiting to go to a residential care home near to where I live. He has been put on Alzheimer drug memantine and an antipsychotic drug, thankfully the sedatives they had to inject him with is no longer needed. He will be released to the care home with his memantine and antipsychotic, with doctors taking him off the latter asap. For the first time in 5 years we have had a full nights sleep, the worry of what happens to Dad has been taken from us. Dad will be looked after 24hrs, 7 days a week. All I have to do is visit.

I know this sounds harsh, we are thankful Dad will be near to us, but I don't have the stress of looking after him anymore, wondering what I'm going to find when I turn up at his house, if he's going to be aggressive or nasty, or even if he has harmed himself or walked out of the house. The problem is no longer mine to worry about. I can concentrate on visiting a nice calm Dad, yes he will probably always ask to go "home", but the home he remembers is his childhood home. He no longer recognises me as his daughter, but knows I am family. This is another stage in this awful disease we have weathered through.

Thanks for being there.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Sorry to hear about your Dad, sometimes it takes a crisis to get the help that was so desperately needed, you can now relax a little and hopefully enjoy some nice visits as just his daughter, take care xx

Ange

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
It doesn't sound harsh at all. I am so glad your poor dad is now calm, and your stress and worry have been taken away. I hope the move goes well and that he settles quickly.

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks for your very insightful post, Anita.

You've done a brilliant job of summing up what is must be like to go through the entire process of identifying the beginning, making your way through the adjustment and acceptance period, all the way to the letting go part.

There is a time to pick up the sword for battle, just as there is a time to lay it down. The knowing when to lay it down has everything to do with love and wisdom.

I hope you can enjoy that increasing feeling of peace and well being. Knowing your dad is in safe hands means everything.

Cheers,