Dad going in to care - isolation?

Donacini

Oct 28, 2019
Hi all. My dad is due to go in to care next week. Social services and mental health have recommended immediate respite and we're just waiting for a list of available places from them. Aside from my mum needing a break (pretty much the sole carer), he's permanently in a confused mental state, doesn't sleep much, tries to urinate everywhere and anywhere, and had been physically violent to her. Our main concern now is Dad having to isolate on arrival. It's bad enough putting him in to care, but it just seems inhumane to put him in to care whilst also locking him in a room for up to two weeks.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? What was the rules in the home re. isolation? How did they react to being isolated for a prolonged period of time?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Donacini . Ask each care home what their policy is.

My OH went from hospital to care home three weeks ago. He had had three covid tests in hospital, and on discharge day. The care home didn't make him isolate- and they had had no covid all year, but they test everyone each week.

Another home I considered said it would be five days isolation but staff would be popping in and out of his room all day.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
My husband went into a care home permanently two weeks ago. I was worried sick about the issue of isolation as I know he wouldn’t have coped. He has similar behaviour to your dad. I was very clear with social services that I wouldn’t accept anywhere where they would make him stay in his room for 14 days. When it came to it they had found him a home that is divided into units of 14 residents in each unit, and they ‘isolate‘ the unit rather than the individuals. I also requested special permission to visit him after a week, and that was granted! He was tested before he went in, and had had one COVID jab. I am tested each time I visit, and visits last for a maximum of an hour, and are chaperoned.
It‘s such a dreadful time to have someone close going into a home, but if your mum’s been dealing with the same as me for a long period of time she will really be needing a break. I kept my husband at home for as long as I could because of the rules around isolation and visiting.
Good luck. I wish you all well.

Donacini

Oct 28, 2019
Thank you both for your replies. They are both really useful. I've asked my mum to ensure she checks policy with each of them and that she does her best to avoid a long period of isolation. I suppose it's quite good to know that not all homes are doing a blanket isolation. I'm worried if that's the case she'll refuse care altogether for him putting her own safety at risk.

Birdseed

Nov 28, 2019
Hucknall Notts
My husband went into a care home yesterday and is having to isolate for14 days. I chose that home based on reviews and CCG rating, and praise from staff working there. The isolation was a surprise, but he has had 3 recent spells in hospital without visits, so I don't think it will be a problem for him, more for me. Carers were arranged at home after the first hospital visit, but he's ended up on the floor 3 times, 999 3 times, and it can't continue. A bit of an unexpected decision, getting my head round it all.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Birdseed The idea of isolation is scarey- for us. But you can be sure that carers will be popping in frequently to chat and get to know OH.

My OH went into care four weeks ago after multiple falls in one night and these incidents were becoming more common. He even fell in the hospital, and has continued to fall in the care home at times. It became too much for me to try to keep him safe at home on my own.

I do hope your OH settles in the care home, and that you too will adapt to life at home without him- it can be tough coming to terms with your decision but it's for the best.

Mistie

Sep 24, 2011
Hi @Donacini . Ask each care home what their policy is.

My OH went from hospital to care home three weeks ago. He had had three covid tests in hospital, and on discharge day. The care home didn't make him isolate- and they had had no covid all year, but they test everyone each week.

Another home I considered said it would be five days isolation but staff would be popping in and out of his room all day.
The rules for those coming from hospital are different than those coming from a home setting. Even if a relative takes someone out of the home (other than for a Hosp appt) they have to isolate for 14 days on their return. It is inhumane and very damaging. Have a look at the Rights for Residents and John’s Campaign sites. They are trying to have this rule changed.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
@Mistie Yes it does sound rather cruel. My OH had a fall in the care home and was in hospital overnight- fortunately he did not have to do more isolation on return to the care home.

LynnC123

Aug 21, 2021
When you say isolate - do you mean they are isolated from other residents, or also from their family members? There is no way I could put my mum in a care home (which I think we need to do now) if we couldn't see her for 14 days. It would be astonishingly cruel. If carers can 'pop in' and see her - why can't we? We would happily get tested, etc.