Dad getting worse.

lizc72

Sep 21, 2015
Hi all, dad always been good at repeating himself but over last few weeks his short term memory seems to be getting really bad. You will tell him something and he asks about it a few minutes later. Also he seems to be struggling with the things he could do before like answering his mobile or calling me. There is only my oldest son who lives with him and me who care for him. He also has very poor balance with lots of falls so this as well is quite a blow. Am about to make a drs appointment to see where we go from here. He doesnt seem to know anything is up and just laughs it off if I tell him he cant go out somewhere or do something unless someone is with him.
We have talked about Power of Attorney before but think time is running out so need to do something. Its confusing but he isnt real dad, actually step grand dad but he took me on at 9 days old so I have no rights as not blood relative. He has a son who he doesnt speak to and has already stated that he doesnt want him told about anything.
Just nice to be able to find others who understand.
Liz

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
I dont think you will get power of attorney now as i think they have to be able to pass certain awareness tests. We were in the same boat with MIL but got three quaters of the way through the procedure but she went downhill fast and her doc said she did not have enough understanding to sign the papers which resulted in us having to pay the solicitors hundreds of pounds for nothing. If you want to go down that road speak to his gp first before contacting a solicitor.

Might be a good idea to get him checked out for an infection (sometimes they can have a urine infection you are not aware of) as this can make them worse

Last edited:

lizc72

Sep 21, 2015
Am calling drs first thing to get appointment, seeing him today has scared the life out of me, been burying my head for last few weeks in the hope I was imagining things but when others see it I cant blame my imagination. I did think of infection as well, used to working in nursing homes and used to see this so glad someone else thinks this way too :)