Dad deja vu symptoms

LucyJT1

Aug 2, 2010
Epsom
Hi,
My Mum's getting really worried about my Dad's 'deja vu' type symptoms. He keeps saying that he has seen programmes on TV before or the plot is repeated. He also says that he has seen people on buses before. Today we went out for lunch and there was a family at a table behind us. When he got home, he said to my Mum that the same family were there the last time we went to that restaurant. We haven't been for at least 2 years and I have never seen them before. Is this likely to be the beginning of dementia? He is also increasingly withdrawing from activities and 'grumpy' according to Mum. Anyone able to share similar experiences would help clarify my thinking.
Thanks,
Lucy

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Well, my mum did the same and she had dementia, especially with the TV - she'd seen it all before, even live programmes!

Can you get your dad to the GP? It would also be useful to keep a diary of your dad's changing behaviours.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@LucyJT1 . I’m afraid that s a very common symptom of dementia.
Everything you mention happened with my husband.

LucyJT1

Aug 2, 2010
Epsom
Thanks for the replies. Getting him to see a doc will be a huge challenge but will work on it and get Mum to keep a diary. I do have LPA for health & welfare so could speak to the GP at least.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife told me that a place we were visiting for the first time was just like the previous time. This was an early sign of what was to follow. She had been everywhere, done things that she could not and knew all the people on television personally. Could the GP be primed to call your Dad in for a 'well man' check such as an NHS Health Check? They could then include some simple memory and cognition tests as if routine. This would depend on the GP being prepared to listen to your concerns and to collude with you with your Dad's welfare in mind.

LucyJT1

Aug 2, 2010
Epsom
Thank you. That does sound like my best route. I am lucky that my parents are local. My poor Mum had mild heart attack earlier in the year and I think this is all now starting to catch up with Dad. He could still pay for lunch today, remembering his pin number and working out a tip so not all bad. Having been through 13 years supporting my husband with his Mum's Alzheimer's before she passed last year, I know this can be a tricky journey.