Dad csr

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
He knows he can't no longer drive but wants to still keep his car as that is the last thing of inpendence he got should I get his car sorn off as due to stroke and dementia I think he be unsafe at the wheel thanks

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @jelba, this is not an uncommon situation - I have appended below a thread where it is discussed, you may want to have a look through, it gives some insights as to the potential risks and also some suggestions on how to deal with it. As long as the vehicle is there and Dad has access to the keys there is a risk (other members have experienced those that have 'given up' driving continuing to drive), I think you have to make that judgement call. Personally I got rid of Mum's car when she was no longer fit to drive, others removed parts of the engine to stop the car from starting. Having a licence revoked for example does not mean the person won't drive.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/sorry-but-you-can’t-drive-anymore.118839/#post-1673494

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Keys are in a safe box locked up got meeting on new year's eve to discuss if he stays at home or get carers in or go into a home which he will hate

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Keys are in a safe box locked up got meeting on new year's eve to discuss if he stays at home or get carers in or go into a home which he will hate
Hi. Dad has a car in a garage about 3miles away. It is sorn and a friend turns over the engine. What for I don’t know as he will never drive again(stroke and VD)Plus no licence..But you know what men are like with their cars:rolleyes:

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi. Dad has a car in a garage about 3miles away. It is sorn and a friend turns over the engine. What for I don’t know as he will never drive again(stroke and VD)Plus no licence..But you know what men are like with their cars:rolleyes:
Mum took it harder than Dad! but then mum was the one mounting pavements on a regular basis!!!
finding herself in places & not aware of how she got there! yep sometimes the PWD judgement is questionable & someone has to make decisions
X