Dad carn't use the TV controller.

SallyB

May 7, 2005
Feeling really sad tonight as Dad can no longer use the TV controller. His only pleasure for years has been getting into bed to watch TV at night. His favourite programme has been Millionaire I managed to get him to understand how to get the channel turned over but it took some doing to explain how to turn it off when I just rang him back. He was pressing the buttons on the telephone. Got there in the end though.

Just keeps getting worse doesn't it?

When I got to dad's this morning he was in his chair not been in his bed despite a carer leaving him sat on the side. I know this is a problem for many people but isn't it horrible to realise that he had been sat there for 15 hours in his pants and vest. The worse thing is that I rang him at 2215 to check on him he said he was in bed. Or did i just think that was what he said?

God i get so sad sometimes.

Sally

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Know the feeling when you say
Just keeps getting worse doesn't it?

I was showing mum the TV controller & daughter said this is the Volume ,mum put her finger on it push it down Keep her finger on it & did not know what to do ,we had to tell her to take her finger of it .

So she does not know how to use it anymore .

Or did i just think that was what he said?
No maybe your dad just forgot , or Confused in what you said

what do you mean when you say
despite a carer leaving him sat on the side.

his pants and vest.
does a carer not come in Morning to help him get dress ?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sally, your dad sounds a lot like Lionel.

I think this causes a lot of their frustration and confusion. Imagine their world, unable to push the buttons on the remote, or as you say, not being able to just swing the legs up to finally settle in bed.

You must worry so much as dad is not with you, but what I am trying to say is that all these things happen, even when you are with them all the time.

It is a hugh job to get Lionel into bed, but occassionally he does manage to get up in the night, and then he just sits on the side of the bed. I no longer share his room, and it is something I agonise over.

Don't despair, we can only ever do our best, and that is what you are continuing to do for your dad.

Take care, Connie

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Sorry it's been so tough Sally. But just on a practical note ..... would it be worth fixing the TV on a timer plug .... so say it automatically switched itself off at bedtime. Ok, it's less than ideal control for your dad ....... but it's something I tried with a few things in dad's house before he went into nh, because he couldn't remember either a) to switch things off or b) how to switch them off. The manual, pressing the little lugs down 24 hour timers are a bit hit and miss, but you can get digital ones and set quite complex combinations of times across a whole week. Perhaps it could be set to come on when his favourite progs started? The tricky thing would be switching channels I guess.

best wishes

Áine

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi sally

whilst visiting mum in hospital yeterday, there was one old gent trying to ring out on the remote control, he thought it was a phone, :confused:
your so right its so very sad:(

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
dmc said:
hi sally

whilst visiting mum in hospital yeterday, there was one old gent trying to ring out on the remote control, he thought it was a phone, :confused:
your so right its so very sad:(

:p Oh help, call for the men in white coats!
I've done that myself :eek: (picked up one of the 3 remote controls, instead of the wander-phone)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Oh Lynne,
Dare I say it? Petrol not diesel, remote not phone? Where is all this heading??!!;)
Love Amy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Amy, what do you mean heading?:confused:

Lynne's been there, done that, and now she is wearing the tee shirt:D

Sorry Lynne luv, no offence. Love Connie:)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
It's the getting to the top of the stairs, and then having to walk down again in order to remember why I've gone up there that drives me mad. And you know that there is no point staying upstairs because it never comes back to you whilst you're standing there. Or going through all three boys names before I hit the right one - and its always the last, why is that? I can remember my granny doing it!
Amy

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
My mates dad tried to light his cigarett with his electric razor. Good job her mom is with him. But it did make her smile when she saw him do it. :D Janet :D

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Amy said:
Oh Lynne,
Dare I say it? Petrol not diesel, remote not phone? Where is all this heading??!!;)
Love Amy

:D I didn't think it would be long before someone remembered that b**** petrol.:cool:

And it's not the first time I've thought that I should be looking a 'double' billet for the future either!:eek:

:rolleyes:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Is that 'looking' or 'booking' Lynne??!!:D
Glad to see you are still smiling.
Amy

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
janjan said:
My mates dad tried to light his cigarett with his electric razor.

while we're on the subject, I caught dad trying to fasten his slippers on with his braces this afternoon. It would probably have worked, though it did make them very tight around his neck :rolleyes:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
SallyB said:
Feeling really sad tonight as Dad can no longer use the TV controller. His only pleasure for years has been getting into bed to watch TV at night. Sally

Hi, Sally. Think the timer switch is a great idea. My mum has gone through a phase of 'the telly's not working' because she insisted on plugging it out every night (as we were 'taught' in the 60s/70s) and didn't remember to plug it back in in the morning. Then we had 'I can only get one channel' at which point we realised she couldn't always operate the buttons on the 'remote' anymore. Truth, mum would watch anything as long as the 'telly' is actually on. On good days, she will manage her preferred 'ITV in the morning, C4 in the afternoons, BBC from tea-time to bed-time' without any help. On 'bad days' it doesn't seem to matter what is on as long as it is on.....

Not much help, sorry....TF

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
A big hello.

Hello everyone, i`ve posted 2 messages in the tea room, but wasn`t sure if that was the right place????

I`d just like to thank Lynne for her kind words. I haven`t got a cpn for dad and not in touch with an Alzheimers society.....yet!! Maybe as the time goes on, i`ll ask for further support from them. The doctor did warn me the Aricept could upset his tummy, but i didn`t realise to what extent, he`s only been on it since the 11th April, i didn`t think it would work so quickly on his tum. I don`t think it helps that dad is drink dependent ( alchoholic, but has never admitted it) He believes that half a bottle of whisky a night is moderate, for an 82yr old. I don`t drink but i assume that`s some going for someone of dads age? He`s drank as long as i can remember so i wouldn`t ever say he couldn`t have it........it would kill him to do without. He had occasional ( i can`t spell anymore!!) accidents before Aricept so i think it could be a combination of both?!? We had another accident today, my daughters boyfriend found it........on the bottom of his sock after going to the toilet!!!!Good job he knows us well!!!

Thanks again Lynne.
Regards Jan.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
.... found hubby struggling with pyjama trousers, trying to pull them over his head (as if they were the top half). Naturally, I got the brunt of it when I tried to explain and help ......
Sadly, telephones, remote controls, TV etc have long been things of the past.
No hope of it getting any better.
Arrrrgh.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Amy I wonder why on few occasion ,I meet someone in the street ,they say hello Margaret ,I stare at them & for the life of me can not remember who they are & one of them was the bus driver that use to take mum to her AZ day centre , he had to say to me go on try to remember ,?I was thinking I bet he thinks I have AD :(

The other one was a young boyfriend of an old friends daughter who I had lost touch with & was trying to get her number, could of kick myself later when I remembered who he was :mad:

Never give up hope Nutty Nan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR