Dad can't speak properly.

Debbi V

May 14, 2018
He's been getting progressively worse but we could speak to him a little. He has been at hime with mum all through his illness uo until now. Last week he was taken in for assessment for 28 days and is obviously medicated now. His speech is so much worse now but I don't know if this is just a coincidence.

When we visit we see him hugging the nurses and holding their hands but whenver they are out of the room and any chance he can he says he has to tell us something. Among the words we hear him saying they are horrible and nasty to him.. I think he said kicking him. I know it's not true but I just wondered if this is common. He's probably saying it so we will take him home right?

I hate to see him distressed although it's always short lived and then he's back to being happy.. but still pretty chronically uncommunicative.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don’t have experience of this situation but wondered if you might get some value from speaking to the experts on the help line. The details are as follows
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Debbi V
I think you have it when you say your dad is trying to get home, which is tough on everyone
you say you know what he says isn't true, so I guess he has no bruising or any other signs to worry you - maybe have a chat with the staff to ask how he is when you're not around, even ask to check his notes - and then let them know what he says just so they are aware; they will then know that you have faith in them and are also vigilant visitors
you might also ask about his medication and about any side effects - you have every right to mention any concerns to staff - I have a quick chat with the carers in dad's home each time I visit, to keep each other up to date and so that if I want to ask about anything I have a positive relationship with the staff and we discuss issues openly
it may be worth asking for an assessment by the SALT team just in case there is anything that can help your dad with communication, though that may already be a part of the ongoing assessment

Debbi V

May 14, 2018
Thanks so much. I will ask my mum to check for bruises next time she takes him a change of clothes. What is only slightly puzzling me about the theory that he is saying it to come home is that it takes cognitive thought for that doesn't it, and a plan in mind... and surely he is not capable of that. Maybe he is.. I am no expert. Paranoia and fantasy are maybe Alzheimer symptoms I guess.

I still truly don't think anything is happening. He is not afraid of any of the staff and is actually quite loving to them all.