Dad asleep and on IV morphine - can he wake up?

Toodlepipfornow

Oct 27, 2017
Hi,

Does anyone know if someone who is receiving IV morphine for pain relief can be awake, or does morphine always have a sedatory effect?

My dad has been readmitted to hospital with an infection and dehydration and has been sleeping most of the time. As well as the morphine, he has an antibiotic drip and a glucose drip but I wondered if there is any possibility he will wake up while he is on morphine.

I am not at the hospital, or I'd ask a nurse, so I wondered if anyone would know.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
If he is very ill the morphine will have a sedative effect, but I can’t see why he wouldn’t be awake at times.
I had a morphine pump and I was awake some of the time, if you are really worried why don’t you phone the ward to put your mind at rest

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
There is no reason why someone wouldn’t wake up on morphine unless it is a high dose or they are quite sensitive to it, as said by nellbelles as it can be sedating, or maybe it is just their condition or infection making them sleepy. I assume he must have had some pain or not be able to take his painkillers to be put on morphine IV, although small doses can also help with breathing and agitation. The morphine should not be the reason your dad is asleep though, there is other medication they can use for sedation.