Dad and his new shoes

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Visited Dad today with some new shoes. Back at work so visited Thursday evening and today Saturday. Took Dad a new light weight pair of shoes, new socks, joggers and usual biscuits and cake. Oh they said he is not in a good mood not been up long. So in I go bearing gifts. Show him new joggers, he smiles. Give him biscuits he takes the whole packet off me. I show him socks and new shoes. He is sat with just joggers on refusing to get dressed. I manage to put on a pair of new socks on and his new shoes. He likes them!! He then eats the full packet of biscuits. Oh well I think no harm done he has missed breakfast due to getting up late. I then manage to get a polo shirt and jumper on he now looks very respectable. He mumbles and chats away don't know what about but I enjoy the interaction. Then it all goes pear shaped, he suddenly spots the 'empty shoe box' he looks inside looks at me tells me to clear off, I have stolen his shoes. I try to explain that they are on his feet but he is having none of it. I am now the worst thing since sliced bread. He said I have pimples on my chin, I don't by the way, and continues to make all sorts of nasty comments. I sit and agree with everything he says, much to the amusement of his 1:1 sat outside. He falls fast asleep I kiss him good bye till next week, have a laugh and chat with his 1:1 and the nurse in charge. An hour's drive home gives you time to think. All those people who look after their loved ones at home deserve a medal. All waffle I know but I think being able to have the odd chuckle certainly makes you feel better.

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
In Hot Water...

My mother will not use the hot water tap, I washed my hands she went crackers ...thx for that just been to do your food shopping at 8am. She phoned 111 about a spot on her leg, the guy phoned me to suggest she put the heating on.

The next day she and her spot went to the ER for three hours, she is getting a bit sharp it arrives then goes I understand it is her illness I did have a wry smile to myself, it is never dull.

Have a better day.

John.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
........ he suddenly spots the 'empty shoe box' he looks inside looks at me tells me to clear off, I have stolen his shoes. I try to explain that they are on his feet but he is having none of it........

Oh dear, that is so typical :rolleyes:
Im glad you could see the funny side of it. Sometimes if we didnt laugh we would cry.

cat64

Sep 1, 2014
My mum is cake obsessed..........she is in a care home and is continually demanding food! yesterday was the battle of the biscuit........I arrived bearing triple choc cookies.she was delighted and scoffed two straight away.then demanded biscuits off the coffee trolley...and then promptly felt sick!..........Ten minutes later she was furious with me as when it was nearly time to go she said over and over well aren't you going to get me more?? leave your bag here and go and get some!! At that point I had to go as she was virtually sulking! you have to smile sometimes as it might always be tears =[

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
I think you definitely need a little bit of humour to help deal with dementia, if not I personally think I would constantly be upset. It's nice to read what has tickled other people when dealing with their loved ones and lightened the mood a bit when dealing with this dreadful illness. X

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
Humour has to keep us going, I know it works for me, it seems to cancel out some of the awful times I have.

My Mum tells me about the day she was picked up in an Eddie Stobart truck!!! He (the truck driver) took her all the way home, and she chatted with him all the way back. He was supposed to drop her off close to her home, but she tells me how he took her right to the door and helped her into her home.

The other story is a little more upsetting for her, as she tells me how my Dad left her for three hours sitting on her own in the woods, she got fed up and said she was so angry that she walked home on her own and someone picked her up and says he knows where she lives and gives her a lift home!! My reply to her regarding the latter is that I am sure my Dad went to look for the car but if it was to happen again she must never go into a strangers car but to ring me and I can get the help. I know she has a fear of the woods and the trouble is I live in an area surrounded by woods, she seems ok as we are in the car and she says she always feels safe with me. I can't ever avoid the forest, but I just try and make the drive as wonderful an experience as I can. She loves wildlife and we look for the deer (we've been lucky to see a beautiful Stag) she sees the squirrels running up the trees and the birds. This distraction technique seems to work and she loves looking for the wildlife and we manage to get through the forest. I enjoy spending time with her and those "quirky" times she shares with me.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
My memories, I too live in an area of outstanding natural beauty. It must be lovely to enjoy the countryside with your Mum. Dad unfortunately can not go out anymore though we have had him in the gardens in the NH which he really loved. Like you say these 'quirky' times do sometimes have a silver lining and make you smile.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan