Dad and dementia

nicola141258

Aug 29, 2014
Hi this is my first post. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers last year and started taking Donepezil. It was difficult to get dad diagnosed me and my mum knew something was not right but we could not get his doctor to help. Anyway, I am wondering if anyone can help me. The main problem is my dad seems to be fixed at about aged 65 (he is 83 really) and he is constantly looking for a job but then gets upset because he cannot drive anymore and feels this is stopping him from getting a job so we have this awful circle of him wishing he could still drive and get a job!!!!! Is this something that happens, do people get stuck in a place they can't seem to get out of. Sorry for rambling but it has been a bit of a stressful day!:(

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Welcome to TP nicola. These things can be very frustrating. The good news is that they always slide away eventually though, sadly, some other obsession may take their place. The only thing to do, probably, is to try and distract him by drawing his attention to something else, maybe something that he like, for example.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sadly yes, but next week it could suddenly stop and may be replaced by something else. For what seemed like ages, my mum would go on and on about getting a job and would insist she had an interview at our local hospital and I was to give her the car keys or she would be late.

Is your father actually searching situations vacant columns? or is he just talking about it?

nicola141258

Aug 29, 2014
Sadly yes, but next week it could suddenly stop and may be replaced by something else. For what seemed like ages, my mum would go on and on about getting a job and would insist she had an interview at our local hospital and I was to give her the car keys or she would be late.

Is your father actually searching situations vacant columns? or is he just talking about it?

Yes he is searching the situations vacant columns, he just searches for jobs that need a driving licence, these are not the sort of jobs he used to do but it is obviously linked with not being able to drive!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sorry Nicola its hard I know, but apart from cancelling the papers and distraction, not sure what else you can do. Sounds like he is fixated on driving. My mum can no longer drive, forgotten how to start the car, but she is sometimes fixated on just sitting in it, so I have to leave the car unlocked or she will break the handle, again! Its like a child pretending to drive and fiddle with all the buttons. I think somewhere deep in her memory bank she knows she used to drive.

nicola141258

Aug 29, 2014
Sorry Nicola its hard I know, but apart from cancelling the papers and distraction, not sure what else you can do. Sounds like he is fixated on driving. My mum can no longer drive, forgotten how to start the car, but she is sometimes fixated on just sitting in it, so I have to leave the car unlocked or she will break the handle, again! Its like a child pretending to drive and fiddle with all the buttons. I think somewhere deep in her memory bank she knows she used to drive.

That is so sad! Dad is most definitely fixated on driving, it's about the only thing he is interested in. Unfortunately my mum is too stressed about the whole situation to let my dad just sit in the car, I think that sounds like quite a good idea though. Thank you.